Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Removing Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Removing Power Steering

Hey guys just wondering how do you remove powersteering from an integra ?
i have an annoying screech everynow and then and it's coming from the leaking ps. any tuts/diys? thanks

op..can a mod move my teggy build to the project thread?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 AM
HCF Member

I am not 100% certain on this but I believe that to swap over to manual steering you will have to replace the rack. Other then that it's just unbolt the pump and hoses.

Now removing a rack is usually a rather LARGE pain in the rear. The few I've helped do were done on a hoist, and usually involved unbolting part of the front subframe, and generous amounts of cursing. However these were all on domestic vehicles - maybe replacing a rack on a honda/acura is much easier.

Good luck in any case. Here's a thought though... double check on why/where your P.S. is leaking. you might discover you don't have to go to the work of pulling the rack out!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Just take the belt off first and see how it will drive with no power steering. That will prevent further damage to the pump from running without fluid. Later you can go back and strip other parts off and/or replace the rack.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

it has fluid guys but the rubber seal i replaced is still leaking meaning it must have a hole. I'd rather have no powersteering but can't seem to find any diy's with lengthy description. :/

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You're asking an Integra question in a Civic forum. With that in mind, you may not get a lot of useful responses. But I'll try.

Some cars, by design, will have a lot of "slack" in the steering if you try to drive with no pressure in the power steering system. Others don't (the Civic is reportedly in that class) and on those you can just remove the pump and lines and use a power steering rack in manual mode. So the first thing to do is to disable the pump by removing the belt and take a test drive. If it is unsatisfactory, you're going to have to swap the rack to one that's designed for manual, or fix the power steering system.

If it's OK with no power (or you're swapping to a manual rack) then you can go back and remove the pump, reservoir, and all the lines, basically everything except the rack. This hardly needs detailed instructions-- just follow the lines around and unbolt and pull out everything attached to the system. Make sure to cap off the ports on the rack so dirt doesn't get in. Removing the pump, etc. will make the car slightly lighter and get rid of some clutter under the hood. If you don't care about that just leave the system intact with the belt off.