Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replace Broken Lug Nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Default Replace Broken Lug Nut

Hello to Everyone who reads this thread,

I have a 2002 Civic Ex. I recently took my car into several shops to get cost estimates for replacing my front brakes and rotors. Finding out that auto shops were going to charge several hundred dollars for the parts and labor, I talked to some friends and did some internet research. I ended up doing the work with a friend one afternoon. When I unscrewed one of the lug nuts on my car, the bolt snapped off. My friend mentioned that the auto shops probably put too much torque on the nut and caused the nut and bolt threads to mesh together. My friend and I were able to replace everything with new parts, but now my front passenger wheel only has 3 lug nuts holding the wheel in. Is there any way to replace the broken lug bolt with just disassembling the whole bearing? One shop told me that they had to replace the whole bearing to get a four lug nut on the wheel ($350 for parts and up to 4 hours of labor). The bearing plates look like they are machine-pressed together, not bolted together. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Diadilus9

Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Welcome to the forum!

As for a broken stud, it depends on the brake set-up. On 92-95's, you can easily replace them yourself. On 96-00's the hub is too big and will cause issues when installing the new stud (ask me how I know ).

As for the 01-05's, unfortunately, I do not have any direct experience with those. I would suggest to search around on the internet for a few DIY guides.

Your friends are probably right, shops pay little care to torque specs and many times just sit on the lug nut with the impact gun. After seeing this issue with my Civic and my brothers Civic (both 96-00), I will only use hand tools to remove and install lug nuts.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

ive had to do mine ..although a different year,there were some good tutorials on youtube.i had to grind my bottom spendal alittle to create a spot to slide past the bearing,i also had to knoch the new studs alittle to create alittle more room to scoot into the hole.
i did it the other way,and did most of the labor myself.they still charged 75 for the bearing(double priced)2 bucks per lug,and 90 for labor.2 months later some morron the same lugs out at a tire shop..using the air instead of by hand.i was less then pleased to have to do it again myself.
check youtube...worked for me.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

ive had to do mine ..although a different year,there were some good tutorials on youtube.i had to grind my bottom spendal alittle to create a spot to slide past the bearing,i also had to knoch the new studs alittle to create alittle more room to scoot into the hole.
i did it the other way,and did most of the labor myself.they still charged 75 for the bearing(double priced)2 bucks per lug,and 90 for labor.2 months later some morron sripped the same lugs out at a tire shop..using the air instead of by hand.i was less then pleased to have to do it again myself.
check youtube...worked for me.

i did it again..lol sorry man.double posts