Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Brakes, Now Smoking (Rookie)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

na you can change the lug with it in the car but you do need a grinder...
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=19175

ps... told ya it was the slides
not sure if the rotors really need to be attached or not. my old 94civic it didnt have the bolts on the rotors... and i never felt anything wrong... id think that the wheels would clamp the rotors down enough straight so i dont think they are needed. if ya strip em just drill the heads off and ditchem IMO. or just get some vis grips and try to remove them and then replace them.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Addiction, I looked at Street Snipers lug bolt replacement DIY at the link. It leaves me with several questions. The DIY mentions grinding both the new lug bolt and the hub, but I only see a description for grinding the bolt in his pictures. I also didn't understand how the original lug bolt was removed without it being ground. Where is the hub ground? Also, wouldn't the ground bolt cause an imbalance (shaking) in the spinning wheel at high speed?

Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i wouldnt think so its towards the center of the drive wheel... just like the rotor attaching bolts there is only 2 instead of 4 no ballancing problems.

i havent had to do the front myself yet but from what ive read find the spot that has the most room in the back and hammer the old lug out from the outside, it sound fall out no problem. it is half the size as the new one
id try grinding the head on one side of the lug first before trying to grind the spindle back alittle to check for clearance. with a small grinder ball it shouldnt be hard at all.

the rear is really simple to do.LOL ive done those before ya just get a BFH beat it out and put the new one in and tighten it down with a large nut and the lug nut. very easy.