Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing O2 Sesor

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:10 PM
HCF Member
Default Replacing O2 Sesor

So check engine light has been on for awhile, had it check it's a bad o2 sensor, so I know I need a o2 sensor socket to remove it, but is there a certain kind, or size or will any socket work?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

Hex on the sensor is 7/8" or 22mm. I think it is the standard for it. You can buy or rent from Autozone or Advance Auto. May be some other name parts store near you.

I have one that says AmPro. It's like a deep well crow's foot flare wrench. Regular socket will not work due to wires on the sensor.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Hello KingDakota12,
The o2 sensor socket is made with a cut out in the side to let the wires pass through the side and let you get out the o2 sensor. They cost is like $4.00 or $5.00 bucks. When you get the o2 sensor double check to make sure you have the right size socket before you leave the auto parts store to save a trip back for the right one. Changing it take likes 5 minutes,make sure to reset the cpu by taking the neg battery cable for 15 minutes so the cpu can relearn and reset the error code. Good luck keep us posted. Thanks 2010civiclx

Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

so complicated, i just used an open ended wrench lol

Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 2010civiclx
Hello KingDakota12,
The o2 sensor socket is made with a cut out in the side to let the wires pass through the side and let you get out the o2 sensor. They cost is like $4.00 or $5.00 bucks. When you get the o2 sensor double check to make sure you have the right size socket before you leave the auto parts store to save a trip back for the right one. Changing it take likes 5 minutes,make sure to reset the cpu by taking the neg battery cable for 15 minutes so the cpu can relearn and reset the error code. Good luck keep us posted. Thanks 2010civiclx
My dad randomly had an 02 socket thankfully lol.

It doesn't take 15 minutes to reset the ECU. It only takes like a minute.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
so complicated, i just used an open ended wrench lol
I prefer to use the tool specifically made for the job that you are working on. The sensor can be stubborn to come off. Using open end wrench may cause tool to slip and round off the corners because you may have limited access to the hex due to heat shield installed. If you have rounded corner on hex, you will have more complicated work ahead to remove the sensor.

I also prefer my tool over socket type. It allows ratchet wrench to go on the side of the sensor you are removing. It works on limited space. This is more critical if the socket is with 1/2 inch drive.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

i bought the tool when i changed mine. the sensor was so loose when i took it off, i could have almost used my hand. also you couldnt get it very tight either. ahh as long as i can save money doing it myself i dont mind buying the tools. i always have them for next time.

those nike shoes look awful, btw!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 AM
HCF Member

Just a question....Would it be wise to spray lube where the threads meet just to make the Sensor easier to get out

P.S: You confused the hell outta me with that Nike post..and I do know people that would rock that shoe in a second!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Just a question....Would it be wise to spray lube where the threads meet just to make the Sensor easier to get out

P.S: You confused the hell outta me with that Nike post..and I do know people that would rock that shoe in a second!
I don't think to hurt sensor by using penetrant for easy removal. You will be replacing it anyways, right? The new one should have anti-seize on the thread before installation.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 AM

[QUOTE=maachan513;740630]I don't think to hurt sensor by using penetrant for easy removal. You will be replacing it anyways, right? The new one should have anti-seize on the thread before installation.[/QUOTE

O2 sensors are very sensitive, but the most harmful thing for them is silicone... Like a coolant leak that travels through the exhaust... Or penetrating oil with silicone in it that stays on the threads...

Quick Reply: Replacing O2 Sesor