Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Rough Start

Follow this procedure (except don't drain the coolant):

Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

Hmm to not drain the fluid I basically skip steps 2 - 9? Put the heater on maximum, take the radiator cap off, fill the reservior, let it warm up (fan comes on twice), turn off the motor, fill the radiator if needed, put the cap on and I should be good? I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks for the cutout.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Correct - make sure the radiator and reservoir are filled to max levels when you begin.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

Idling rough at start-up don't have anything to do radiator fluid.. i'll suggest pulling out your plug and see if it dirty.. and check your oil water residue for possible head gasket problem.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

This is not an idle problem.

The roughness I was referring to only occurs on the first starting strokes of the engine. Also it only does it when the engine is cold.
Once the engine has started its fine, it idles normally.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: EJ8_Man
This is not an idle problem.
I believe that droopy128's point is that bubbles in the cooling system generally cause idling problems, in particular fluctuating rpm. I posted the cooling system bleed procedure because you wanted to see whether it would help. I still think bleeding is worth a try because it's so easy, but I'm not sure it will solve your problem.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I bled the system, and there was a lot of air in the lines. But it still starts rough. I also ordered a new distributor/rotor, and wires. I really think they are the culprits. I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem.

Bleeding the coolant system did make the engine run smoother. So I think there were at least two factors to my problem. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

ok does it do this? If so your headgasket could be going on ya... cause mine is, and it's steam at teh end not coolent

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1081.flv

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

I checked there's no steam coming out of the exhaust. If the head gasket was going that would really suck... I plan on swapping in a B18C once I have the time, but she's got to last at least another couple months. I think a distributor and rotor will fix the problem. They have 157k miles on them...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: EJ8_Man
I checked there's no steam coming out of the exhaust. If the head gasket was going that would really suck... I plan on swapping in a B18C once I have the time, but she's got to last at least another couple months. I think a distributor and rotor will fix the problem. They have 157k miles on them...
Was bleeding successful at completely clearing all air bubbles from the cooling system? Or was the amount of air reduced but not eliminated? If bubbles remain, I believe Fiirkan's concern is that the air is actually exhaust gases from a cylinder(s) leaking past the head gasket into the cooling system.

Quick Reply: Rough Start