Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rust in the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Rust in the engine bay **Updated with Pics**

I bought my 95 Civic EX about a year and a half ago and noticed rust starting to form under the airbox. I tried putting some caulking over it to keep the moisture out, but that didn't seem to work. I pulled the caulking off tonite and found that it had actually rusted all the way through. I need to get it fixed asap, mainly because i'm worried about the pressure the strut absorbes just inches away and having that push all the way through. Any ideas would be great. I'm going to try to get to a body shop tomorrow, but wondered if there is anything I can do myself. Thanks

Last edited by 95Honda; 11-25-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Post some clear pictures of the rusted area.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Caulking actually traps moisture that will create more rust. You will need to cut the rust out and weld in new metal.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

I should be able to get pics up tomorrow. I was able to get to the body shop and they said that they arent able to guarantee the work it takes to cut the metal out and put new in, so they wont even do it.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

get pictures of it.... depending on where it is... it might not be a structure thats to important...
if ya have a friend with a small welder you should be abe to do it yourself...
all it takes ia s cutoff wheel and air sourse and cut off ruffly an inch larger than the rust area. dont hammer the piece out! just cut it cleanly... then look at th eback of the rust area as much as posible and make sure you cut it out large enough..... then take your cut out section and transfere the exact shape to some new steel same guage thickness and then grind all the edges to ruffly 45degrees (for the welds to smooth out nicely and not be grinded off when you smooth them down) and get some magnets that will cover the gaps to hold the new metal flush and then just start tack welding it in. and after its fully tacked all the way around with no gaps then grind the welds smooth and paint or undercoat the area.

its not really difficult.... im sure the metal isnt very thick so most small welders will be enough.
but post pictures of your trouble areas... and dont use caulking on rust ever again!
for surface rusting areas you need to wire brush off all the rust as much as posible then use some stuff that converts the rust and then paint it or spray the area with ruberized undercoating.... dont just cover up the rust with paint or caulking or anything with at least removing all the rust!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:32 PM
HCF Member

Sounds good, I think that I might have a welder at my parents house. Would it be easiest to cut the metal with a plasma cutter?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you had one sure.... you get a picture of it yet?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

I'm gonna hafta get one tomorrow morning, my camera was dead when I went to go get the pic and I had a couple things to get done tonite. Sorry for the delay and I really appreciate the help

Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

Name:  SDC10045.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  SDC10043.jpg
Views: 3157
Size:  103.0 KB

In the second picture, the hole that rusted all the way through is just above the green tape and to the left a tiny bit. The rust isn't too bad, but I'm afraid that its in a bad spot with the strut just behind it.

Last edited by 95Honda; 11-25-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well definatly odd spot to rust at.... i dont think ive ever seen one rusted there!

for that tight corner id just use some angle iron along the backside if posible. and just clean or grind off all that rust. im just shocked it actualy rusted there!

Quick Reply: Rust in the engine bay