Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Security Measures~!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 PM
HCF Member
Arrow Security Measures~!

Long time no talk but i got a curious question and wanted to see if you guys can help me out.

RyanA posted a thread about "security measures" for your car when you have no money over on HT.

Anyways he mentioned two good ideas:
1.You unplug your starter signal wire. It's a 1/4" female spade &it's really a "quick disconnect."
but where is this located? and are there any photos?
&
Originally Posted by g230sport
2.a car came into work that wouldnt start unless the cruise control button was pushed in... i want to do something similar to my car, whats involved in doing something like this?
i'm not sure how to do this, but any help is welcome.

thanks guys. (pm me or just post here)

Last edited by JayVee; 06-21-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: croninc said i was givin away all the secrets ha .
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 AM
HCF Member

good little find, kinda giving all the secrets away tho lol.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 AM
HCF Member

hmm well it's a secret if you know how to do it yourself.

if you know how to do the 2nd one can you pm me with details?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter signal wire is the small wire that connects to the starter itself. There are two wires connected to the starter, a large one from the battery with a bolt terminal and a the smaller one (ultimately from the key switch) with a push on connection. Just pull it off and the car will not crank.

While you're under the hood, unplug the spark wires from the distributor and put them back on in the wrong order (2001 or later models do not have a distributor though). That will create a situation where the car will crank but not start, which is much better than just disabling the starter. The sound of a car cranking but not starting attracts a lot of attention (even more than an alarm) and it is unlikely that the thief will stick around with the hood up trying to diagnose it. You can also lift the back seat and unplug the fuel pump for the same effect.

Even better is to remove a small vital part and take it with you. Traditionally it's the distributor rotor, but that is not too practical on a Civic. You can remove the fuel pump fuse (replace with a blown fuse so nothing seems amiss) or the main relay. For longer term parking, remove the battery, ECU, and wheels. Those parts are often stolen in their own right.

There are countless variations on the "kill switch" idea, which is more complicated and requires a little money. But basically you cut a vital wire (which powers the starter, fuel pump, or ignition system) and connect some sort of secret switching device to complete the circuit only when you want the car to start.

Last edited by mk378; 06-21-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
HCF Member

Hmm, i edited this so i can keep secrecy.

Last edited by JayVee; 06-21-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: i need to keep secrets -______-
Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

well i wouldn't tell the whole world about it so you may want to pm for advice or it does you no good i can help if you need it.