Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe missfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Unhappy Severe missfiring

My 1997 ek coupe(d16y7) has recently started missfiring as soon as my rpm reached 3k or above, when it begins to missfire the rpm gauge and the speedometer gauge jump and are showing incorrect readings. This problem began shortly after my alternator belt broke which I fixed as soon as I noticed it.
So far I have tried a new distributor, new wires, new map sensor, new tps sensor, I have checked timing, tried another computer, pulled the whole harness out looking for a short(found the harness is sloppy but didnt seem to have a short i could see), I tested the alternator and it was good. It seems to be running extremely rich (smell of fuel from exhaust and even sometimes flames). the ecu gave three codes 1. Iacv 2.electronic load detector 3. air temp sensor
Any help or tips as to where i should go from here would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Resolve the air temperature sensor code first, the air temperature sensor is important for proper mixture. The other codes probably aren't affecting anything.