Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Shifter is getting stuck in first and second gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Default Shifter is getting stuck in first and second gear

What's up HCF...I have a 94 civic dx and when I'm shifting out of first it gets stuck...it just started today..when I'm going to third it tried to do it again..its not all the time..just here and there but I was going to check my linkage..anything else you experts on here can advise as well I would appreciate...I did a little research but most of what I found was for automatics..

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

Do you have trouble getting it into gear, too? Just wondering if your slave cylinder is on the way out. Typically when those fail, it won't allow the clutch to engage and let you change gears easily, almost like it's stuck in gear. But if you're not having a problem getting it into gear, that's probably not it.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 AM

There is some trouble getting into get too..its not as smooth as it use to be..you mentioned the slave cylinder...could I check that on my own?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 AM
HCF Member

Yep - take the cap off of the clutch master cylinder and make sure it's full of fluid.

Then follow the metal lines down to the slave cylinder (looks like a black metal cylinder with a rubber crinkley boot on the end - it's located on the front of the engine, bolted down near the bottom left. Check to see if there is any fluid leaking from it, or if that rubber boot is torn.

If all is okay, have a trusty sidekick sit in the car and push down on the clutch pedal. You should be able to see some movement with that boot to see if it's working. I'm not sure what the total travel distance is, but if it's only moving a little bit (like 1/2"? I'm sure someone else here knows - I can't remember at the moment), it's probably time for a new one.

Basically, when you push the clutch pedal, you force hydraulic fluid (brake fluid, in this case) from the clutch master cylinder, down that metal line, and to the slave cylinder. The slave has a small piston inside that is moved by the fluid, which pushes against an actuator arm that leads to the bearings and such of your clutch assembly (without getting too technical, here). If there's a leak, or a worn-out piston in that slave cylinder, the piston won't move the actuator arm, and you can't easily shift gears.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

To check the clutch, see if you can shift into reverse without the gears grinding (engine running, car NOT moving, and clutch pedal pressed down).

Bad motor mounts can let the engine/transmission assembly move out of position and pull on the linkage.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Thanks a lot guys...I appreciate the info..