Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

should I replace oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
HCF Member
Default should I replace oil seal

I am bracing myself to do a timing belt and water pump change. This definately exceeds anything I have done before, but I am kind of excited to try it. My question concerns whether I should change the camshaft oil seal. Currently my car does not lose any oil. Advance Auto only had the Felpro seal with a 1 year warranty (so I bought it). I would feel much better, though,if I had a better quality part, but should I go ahead and change it using the Felpro. My thinking is that since the piece is not soft rubber, perhaps the original is still in fine shape, even though it's older. Let me know what you all think. Thanks,

Andy

Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: should I replace oil seal

I would not replace the seal unless you find it is already leaking. It's easy for even an experienced person like me to mess up a seal putting it in and have to do it all over again.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sorry for thread jacking. mk, do you feel the same about the front crankshaft seal? Just curious.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i replaced both of mine... cam and crank oil seals... its cheap insurance..... just put it on straight with alittle block off wood and tap it in slowly with a hammer little by little...

Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

addiction, how do you properly remove the seals? How difficult is the job?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

stupid hcf viruse... i did mine when it was out of the car, but can still be done with the motor in the car.... main thing is take your time, oil or grease the seal up alittle to keep it from tearing when instaling.

i just pulled the old seal out with a small screw driver enough to pull the seal out and clean any dirt or gunk out from the seal housing,

Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

If the cam starts leaking around its seal, how much oil would you expect to lose. Again, I don't lose oil, but I'm curious.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just like any oil leak high in the motor. it will always be leaking alittle while the motor is running. and besides the ugly oil all over and spots it leaves where you park, the oil can also make the timing belt fail/break down alot faster than a dry belt would.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

oil is only good where its needed not good where its not needed for moving parts and IMO buy OEM seal for the perfect fit and best quality! if i remember corectly it was like 5-15bucks brand new.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

Do the originals often last the life of the car (I am very hesitant to replace with the Felpro and may not be able to get hold of an OEM before I do the timing belt)?

Quick Reply: should I replace oil seal