Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Snap On Impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
HCF Member
Default Snap On Impact wrench

When Ireceived my Snap On tool cabinet from Snap On, it fell and got a big dent during shipping. So when I talked to the guy he said I have the option of returning it, or they will give me $200 in free tools. So I thought about it and decided to get the free tools. I'm looking at getting an air impact wrench, the exact one is, AT650 1/2" Drive impact wrench. That would come to $199. Now I would probably need to get impact sockets to use with this gun right? For just a 7 piece set it's almost as much as the air gun from snap on. Is it possible to just use regular sockets? I'm thinking maybe I'll just get some impact sockets from craftsman or something. For just starting out is there a better impact gun to start with? I'm looking to use it on lug nuts and stubborn bolts and nuts on the car. I'm looking to also get the Flank Drive flexible extension socket once I get some more money. any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/31D4E731FF2F4FE4BD027BF10F8CCED6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Snap On Impact wrench

bump

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

I have a set that I got at Autozone for $7. LOL The rest of my tools are all Craftsman and Snap on, but I was in a pinch and just got the cheap set to get me through my big brake job. Now here a year and a half later, they are still in great shape. So I would say go with the more expensive Craftsman or Snap on, but if you just a set of weekend jobs, a cheap set might just get you where you need to go.

Oh and DO NOT USE REGULAR SOCKETS. The chrome can break off and get shot at high speed everywhere. VERY BAD IDEA!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM

use impact sockets, chrome sockets will break real easily. since holiday season is starting, great sales will be starting up and u can get a good deal on Craftsman impact sockets. i payed like $70 for a 12 pc impact set(12-19, 21, 22, 24, and 27mm).

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

check, gotcha... chrome sockets bad idea lol

Yea I'll just get a set of craftsman or something for now. I'll look into that 12 pc. set.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

Not that I would advise you to do this, in fact I would say never do it. But:

I needed a 32mm socket for my (brake upgrade? anyway something with the wheels) and all I had was a chromed one. So I wrapped it with duct tape. The chrome broke but the tape held it in place and none of it flew anywhere. Just a tip if you are working with some ubber large size socket.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

woah... hold the phone, I've had 2 instructors tell me that the snap-on impacts are junk, and they only warranty them for like 30days or something. I'd rethink your decision on what you get... possibly some specialty tools or something along those lines. just my 2cents.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

woah... hold the phone, I've had 2 instructors tell me that the snap-on impacts are junk, and they only warranty them for like 30days or something. I'd rethink your decision on what you get... possibly some specialty tools or something along those lines. just my 2cents.
Why do they say they are junk? do they burn out? I'm like seconds away from buying this I would like some more input on these impact wrenches. They have many models some made by Blue point some snap on, maybe the Blue Point's are better?

Does anyone on here have snap on brand air impact wrench's and have some input if they are indeed junk or not? Very important I need to know ASAP. Thanks

Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

i though snap on tools had lifetime warranty??? If not get crafstman, I've broken a couple of their socket's (I think I have too much elbow grease hahaha ) and i just takethem back to the store and they always give mea new one

Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

Would this one be better it's a blue point and is on sale

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e&tool=all

it doesn't say in the catalog or site if they are 30 day warranty or lifetime, so I would guess that means lifetime....

Quick Reply: Snap On Impact wrench