Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

some smell when turning AC on or off

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: some smell when turning AC on or off

alright, same thing happened to my mom's odyssey, took it to honda, told us it was probably mildew in the ventilation system, so they sprayed some type of chemical to kill the mildew along with the smell, they sprayed everything and told us not to use one of the venting buttons (can't remember). so basically, it's probably mildew trapped on your filter if you've had screwy weather recently, so just replace them and see how that works out.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

ej2bud, where did they sprayed the chemical? on the filter or on the air pipes? yeah we just had a bad storm 2 weeks ago that left jersey flooded, i hope it is just mildew so i can fix it myself. thanks for the info though

Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

i gota 94 civic coupe and it does the exact same thing to me...it does it only when i am switching from air to heat though

Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

i asked some honda owners in our company. and they said it's quite common for hondas.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jeff_o

ej2bud, where did they sprayed the chemical? on the filter or on the air pipes? yeah we just had a bad storm 2 weeks ago that left jersey flooded, i hope it is just mildew so i can fix it myself. thanks for the info though
who is that? lol

but i believed they just changed the air filters, and just sprayed the pipes, just go by the dealership and ask them how to do it step by step if you want to attempt this yourself.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

ej6buddy, sorry for mispelling your handle, i was probly sleepy the time i replied hehe

Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

guys, i opened my cabin filter and it's all dirty.... where can i get this filter? i went to walmart yesterday it's in their books but they don't carry it.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

try autozone, napa, advance autoparts...which ever auto part retailer is near you they should have something

Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

aight.... thanks. i just went to advanced auto parts and found the cabin filter for it. they have 25% off on all filters because of father's day. i replaced it (2 parts) but still get that annoying smell. would anyone know which vent should i check for dead mice? thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Default Similar Story - Odor in 2006 Civic

I see that your post is a bit dated, but I wondered if you solved the problem. I've been trying to figure this one out for a year or so. Just as you say, it's something to do with the A/C or the defrost, or maybe the entire heating system itself. The smell isn't unpleasant, it is just irritating that it sticks in my head for the rest of the day. Anti-microbial sprays and new air filters helped for about 2 months, but then the odor came back. I get the feeling that I am breathing something that I shouldn't be. And yes, I often drive with the window cracked open (in the winter, too) just to make sure the fumes are diluted.

Any advice?

Quick Reply: some smell when turning AC on or off