Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Son blew his engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Default Son blew his engine.....

Guys and gals, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

My son blew the engine on his 200 Civic, SI. If correct, it is a B16A 1595.

My mechanic suggest's getting a good used one instead of trying to repair that one due to the internal damage.

Do you all recommend anyplace to get one? I've tried locally but have found none thus far.

I have a few feelers out, so I figured I'd try you guys as well.

My son and that car have been nothing but a headache in the 3 months he's had it. First he rear ends someone causing almost 3K in damage, now this.

If I would have know prior that this car was popular with car thieves I would've let them steal it after the 1st week. In another era of my life I would have done it myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Default RE: Son blew his engine.....

get him a pedal bike?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

An engine swap is a good idea. You can find the same motor online for like 2500$, but it will only have 30-40K on it. Just use google and you will find tons of stores that will ship the engine to you. Dont throw the old engine out either, you can sell it on ebay, as many honda gearheads are always looking for blown engines to fix up. You could prob get a few hundred for the blown engine, assuming the block and head are ok.......use that towards the purchase of the newer one.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

ive heard good feedback on this website, i dont know if theyll only sell u the motor but its worth a try

hmotorsonline.com ask for steve

Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM

It doesn't sound as if the son needs to have his own car yet to me... sounds as though he needs to work on some responsibility. It takes some work to blow up an engine... I have a very 'spirited' driving style, I like to accelerate quickly... not really speed, or drive recklessly, just take off fast, and occasionally I'll "play around" with those stuck up drivers who think they are all that... I have not managed to blow up a 14 year old 200kmile motor after two years of my driving so what's that say... Further more, when I was in my school years I caused a lot of problems on my first car that were always my problem, my dad said if I broke it I had to figure out how to fix it, driving was a privilege not a right, and if I was careless it would be taken away... That's just my $.02 for what it's worth...

Of the two accidents I have managed to find myself in, one I rear ended an Acura TL, road was super slick because it was wet, and it was fresh pavement, I wasn't speeding or driving carelessly, I had plenty of room to stop, but at the last possible second the brakes locked, and I slid right into her, did no damage, other than scratch my bumper. The other one was when a windstar rear ended me... that was obviously his fault...

As for the engine... Jasper Engines and Transmissions offers an excellent remanufactured engine, they also come with a 3 year 36,000 mile transferable warranty, last time I checked. no other rebuilder I have found offers that extensive of a warranty, you have to have an approved installer do the work though. Just search for them on google, their site will show up... I have heard nothing but good things about jasper... My mechanic friend even has one of their engines in one of his personal vehicles, a 2000 civic, and said he is very pleased with it. They usually go for 2k's, but with the warranty I think it's well worth it if you are going to keep the car...

Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

Can you be mroe specific with "blew" It may jsut be cheaper to have the current engine repaired depending on the damage.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
HCF Member

/\ agreed, i think that your son needs to buck up and take hold of his responsibilites... but that is just me speaking. Anyway online is the way to go if you cant find a good wrecking yard.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Also if it does need replaced I wouldn't replace it with the same motor with the cost of it. Buy a cheap b20 or b18 for liek 600 bucksand put it in until he can drive right, I still don't know how you would blow a b16a2 out. Took a full pint of muddy water to do mine in after all the drag events and spirited driving its seen.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicpimpinsc

It doesn't sound as if the son needs to have his own car yet to me... sounds as though he needs to work on some responsibility. It takes some work to blow up an engine...
You don't know that. This could have absolutely nothing to do with the kid's driving. He's only had it for 3 months, WHO KNOWS what happened to it before then.

Anyway, yeah, the best thing to do will be to replace it wil the same engine. Putting a B18A in there is only going to destroy the resell value. Make sure you get a B16A2, not just a B16A...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Civic Si 00

How DUMM can you be to BLOW your engine up.More likley he was treating his car like SHI* or he was always racing because those cars do fly fast . I own the same car and tell me about it thieves are always AFTER those cars...They are HOT...Get a JAPANESE engine import straight from japan.

Buy him a bike or something else..He don't deserve his car...He thought he was fast and the furious.
sh*t happens....

just buy a new used long block and pay 300-500 for installation....

Quick Reply: Son blew his engine.....