Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speed Sensor Help (FOUND PROBLEM)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
HCF Member
Default Speed Sensor Help (FOUND PROBLEM)

OK back to a old post about 2months ago , i have 1995 Civic 1.5 1, 6valve .... no power options at all , dont remember if its a ex or dx ????? anyone know what it might be ???...

Now back to the problem with the speed sensor , when i drive a far distance 50+ miles , my MPH arm does crazy and the torque converter acts crazy .... My first thought was speed sensor but i have no check engine light on , i checked to make sure the actual light itself works when i turn the key forward and it does ....

Now is it because its a 1995 and not OBD II that it is not showing a check engine ??? or should it???

The speed sensor is $130 so what im asking is has anyone had anything similar happen ???

and how would i go about testing it ??? My only concern is that it only does it on long rides

does anyone have a write up on how to test it ????

Old 07-11-2007, 05:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Speed Sensor Help

OK I just went out there and unplugged it ???

Drove it for about 5 miles and still no Check Engine Light ...

What will this do , unconnected ????
Will it affect anything ???

Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

Welll if your torque converter is acting crazy then it most likely isn't your speed sensor. when you disconnected it did your speedo work at all? if it did you didn't disconnet the speedsensor.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

I disconnected the speed sensor im sure of that .... and no the speedo is not working ,,,

I thought i read somewhere that teh speed sensor can throw off the torque convertor ???

Anyone have a write up on how to test the sensor ???

Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

Anyone , i know there is a way to test the speed sensor with a OHM meater i just need to know how to do it anyone ???

Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The problem is, yours will work perfectly for the first 50 miles then it maybe quits, so testing it once doens't prove much.

It is a pulse output. The sensor is powered up by the ECM on one wire, one wire is ground, and the output wire pulses between zero and 5 volts as the wheels turn. I don't think measuring the ohms will tell much, as again it works most of the time.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: spitnhard79

OK back to a old post about 2months ago , i have 1995 Civic 1.5 1, 6valve .... no power options at all , dont remember if its a ex or dx ????? anyone know what it might be ???...

dx

Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

The problem is, yours will work perfectly for the first 50 miles then it maybe quits, so testing it once doens't prove much.

It is a pulse output. The sensor is powered up by the ECM on one wire, one wire is ground, and the output wire pulses between zero and 5 volts as the wheels turn. I don't think measuring the ohms will tell much, as again it works most of the time.

Where do i start then ??? Should i just spring for the speed sensor or could the problem be in the ECM ???
any clue on how to test , other then buying a $130 part??

Old 07-12-2007, 04:57 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: spitnhard79

ORIGINAL: mk378

Where do i start then ??? Should i just spring for the speed sensor or could the problem be in the ECM ???
any clue on how to test , other then buying a $130 part??

BUMP

Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

OK , i took the car for a 10mile ride on the interstate and the second i jumped on the check engine light came on , the speed sensor is unplugged ......

The wierd thing is when it acts up , the check engine light dont come on .... does this mean the sensor is good ???

I NEED HELP ASAP , im driving the car 2500 miles next weekend ....

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor Help (FOUND PROBLEM)