Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

squeeling belts

Old 07-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Default squeeling belts

I have a 98 civic that likes to make a lot of noise when I go trough puddles. I think its the ac belt and one time it did it for a whole day when I had the ac on. I bought the car from my sister and she had it looked at by the dealership and they said that was normal. doesnt sound right to me. just wondering if it is a normal problem or something wierd.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Default RE: squeeling belts

Belt squeal because of slippage. If, for instance, the belt gets wet, it will slip against the pulleys and squeak. however, the squealing should go away quickly after you run through a puddle. If the squeaking is continual while driving through the rain (and no puddles), then you might have a problem with water getting under the hood. Make sure all you car's splash guards are in place and properly attached. Also, I think there is a gaskt that runs underneath the front edge of your car's hood. that kepps water from coming in underneath when driving in the rain.

If it is continually squealing in dry weather, then the belt is probably loose. It might be time to replace it.