Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Default Starter HELP

Hi, First of all I would like to say hi to everyone! I'm a new Honda Civic driver and am having problems with the ignition or starter not sure what is going on. Last sunday I went to start it and nothing, it had been turning over slow and my battery was low on water so I figured it was just the battery (bought a new one) anyways when I went to start it I have dash lights, headlights everything but it doesn't turn over. Checked the leads to the starter they seem tight wiggled the key nothing, so I leave it for afew days trying to figure it out now this morning it turns over and fires up, turning over slow again with a new battery. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go through replacing the starter if that is not the problem. Let me know I need this car fixed, love it btw big difference in gas consumption compared to the Jimmy I was driving for three years LOL. Thanks for any info.

Angie

Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Starter HELP

Doesn't sound like starter, unless there's a dead spot in it. Take it down to Autozone/VIP/PepBoys/Sears and have them test it for free. Then replace the part that's bad.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

If it starts up most of the time, but sometimesit won't turn over at random even with a new battery, that may be the starter has a bad spot. Just pop in a new starter, it's right there under the dizzy in the 92-95 Civics, and is an easy install. No lift or jack standsd required. If your Civic is a 5 speed, you could try putting the car in gear and rocking it back and forth a little until the engine moves a little. That will put the starter away from the bad spot, allowing you to start it. Otherwise, until you get a new starter, you might as well get proficient in bobsled starts, if it is a 5 speed.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Hi, Yup it was definitely the starter, it had a rebuild on it already and the brushes where going. Had the starter rebuildt yesterday now I'm ready to roll again!! Thanks for the input!

Angie