Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starter Installation-Still won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Exclamation Starter Installation-Still won't start!

Hey so My buddy's civic wouldn't start and when he took it in to get looked at they told him it was the starter I went over and threw the new starter in tonight after work. I moved the hoses outta the way undid the starting wires loosened the top and bottom bolts threw the new starter in, Tightened the bolts and connected the starter wires. Went to crank it and nothing happened except that the engine light came on then went off in like 5 sec. The only sound we heard was a slight whirring sound as it was trying to start or somethign was spinning. Now to me I thought the alternator made a whirring sound when it died and the starter made a click sound. So can anyone give em a feed back on exactly what might be a possible problem. Thanks guys. Fast response is always nice ^.^ peace! roll on civics!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM
HCF Member

Run power to the smaller tab on the starter to test it, perhaps a bad ignition switch, neutral safety, or clutch switch is the trouble.

Clicking from a starter is usually due to low voltage, can be a bad starter, bad solenoid, or bad starter brushes.
Alternators mostly stop working when their brushes wear out, new ones are $5, they give no audible clues.