Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting problem, new dist, no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Default Starting problem, new dist, no spark?

Hey guys, I posted this on the civic wagon forums, because this car is indeed a 91, civic station wagon (4d).

It's not an AWD, it's Fwd if it matters. 1.5 liters.

Last night, I was driving home, took a right hand turn and the wagon just shut off. Wouldn't start back up.

It has over half a tank of gas.
Engine rolls over fine.
Tried jumping and push starting anyway.
I turn the key on (not starting position, just on), and I hear a -click-, supposed to right?
No fuses out. Not even the 80 amp.

I did some research, and it's common that the "main relay" goes out in these cars. BUT, someone said they don't believe the main relay would be the cause of -no spark-.

Here's the old distributor, see that piece completely toasted?

Name:  dist.jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  27.7 KB

That's what gave me my initial motive to replace it... Still no go.
new dist, cap, rotor, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the distributor rotor rotate when you crank the engine? Sudden death on the road is often due to a stripped timing belt.

The Main Relay only controls the fuel, not spark.

When you turn the key on but don't try to start, the CHECK ENGINE light should come on for 2 seconds then go out. You will hear two clicks from the main relay one when it comes on and one when it goes out. You should also hear the fuel pump run and then stop. Also pull the brake handle up and make sure the BRAKE light on the dash stays on while you're trying to start. That shows the ignition circuit has power.

Last edited by mk378; 03-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the fuel pump does not prime AND there is no spark, then it could be a bad main relay, a blown main relay fuse or ECU fuse, or a bad ground connection on the thermostat housing.

If you only lack spark, check the timing belt and the coil and igniter unit in the distributor.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm having the same problem, it wont start but if i push and pop the clutch it starts right up, this is my first honda so i know nothing about them, any ideas? I alredy tried turning the switch on without starting and my engine light does come on and turn off after 2 seconds and my hand brake light does stay on

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Robzek
I'm having the same problem, it wont start but if i push and pop the clutch it starts right up, this is my first honda so i know nothing about them, any ideas? I alredy tried turning the switch on without starting and my engine light does come on and turn off after 2 seconds and my hand brake light does stay on
Could be your starter

Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the safety starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Does the distributor rotor rotate when you crank the engine? Sudden death on the road is often due to a stripped timing belt.

The Main Relay only controls the fuel, not spark.

When you turn the key on but don't try to start, the CHECK ENGINE light should come on for 2 seconds then go out. You will hear two clicks from the main relay one when it comes on and one when it goes out. You should also hear the fuel pump run and then stop. Also pull the brake handle up and make sure the BRAKE light on the dash stays on while you're trying to start. That shows the ignition circuit has power.
And if it doesn't stay on? There's a problem with the ignition circuit? Where would I begin there?

Also should I try resetting the ECU?

Hey also, I found this...
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
and this
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...ion/index.html
It in the diagram, it shows the main relay running wires to the ECU several times. Then doesn't the ECU govern whether the car gets a spark or not?
-Just asking, I really don't have a clue.

Last edited by chriswf; 03-29-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Under normal conditions, when the key is turned to ON(II), the CEL should turn on and then off after 2 seconds.

Have you actually checked for spark at the plugs?

Does the fuel pump prime?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by chriswf
Hey also, I found this...
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
and this
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...ion/index.html
It in the diagram, it shows the main relay running wires to the ECU several times. Then doesn't the ECU govern whether the car gets a spark or not?
Yes. I addressed this point in my previous post below. Again, have you checked for spark and whether the fuel pump primes?

Originally Posted by RonJ
If the fuel pump does not prime AND there is no spark, then it could be a bad main relay, a blown main relay fuse or ECU fuse, or a bad ground connection on the thermostat housing.

If you only lack spark, check the timing belt and the coil and igniter unit in the distributor.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Well. The dist. Came with all new internals too. Its all new.

We got a new main relay today. It did no good.

Also, the dist spins and so the timing belt isn't jacked either. Like, we left the casing off and watched it.

We checked for spark at the wires actually. Just won't happen.

We checked fuses, the ecu fuse is the hazard fuse right?
All fuses seemed fine either way.

Ill check the thermostat ground... See where that goes.

Quick Reply: Starting problem, new dist, no spark?