HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   steering wheel vibration and brake shimmy (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/steering-wheel-vibration-brake-shimmy-10846/)

jbum 09-29-2005 08:05 PM

steering wheel vibration and brake shimmy

I ran over a curb recently with my left wheels. I wasn't paying attention and ran over an island basically.

I got a wheel alignment and it showed that everything was within range except for the caster angle for the front left wheel. It was at 0.1 instead of some negative angle.

Lately, I've been noticing some brake pulsation when I brake (usually at higher speeds 40+mph) and
an accompanying steering wheel vibration. However, it seems to bounce rather than rotate back and forth
as in the case of a rotor warpage.

I've looked under the car and I didn't see anything unusual. Any ideas about what may be wrong?

John

mxs 09-29-2005 08:46 PM

RE: steering wheel vibration and brake shimmy

When they did the alignment, did they balance the tires? If not, that might fix it. Or your tire could be damaged to the point that it needs to be replaced.

Chimera02EX 09-29-2005 08:50 PM

Yeah steering vibration is a sure sign of your tires being off balance. or you are just an idiot and put the wheel spacers on backwards... not that I've done that before or anything...

chaseman1978 09-29-2005 08:51 PM

rim could be bent...thats what happened to me when i hit a pothole once, but i put the bent one on the back and it went to running smoothe again...

jbum 09-29-2005 08:57 PM

If the wheels were not balanced, I should feel the steering wheel vibrate by rotating right/left/etc. Also
it should vibrate like this regardless of braking or not.

This only happens while braking. Also, I put the affect wheel in the back and put the good wheel in the front.
I'm still getting the vibration while braking.

ngoti 8tor 09-29-2005 10:11 PM

Sounds like a warped rotor to me.

JDEF 09-29-2005 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

I agree..had the same problem w/ my infiniti, only i didnt hit anything, and the steering wheel would pulsate or vibrate only on deceleration from highway speeds. Turned out to be a warped rotor and a good excuse to buy some new cross-drilled rotors. If you dont have the cash, you can go have your rotors tunred at like oreiley's or autozone. G/L...Jeff

AOL.COM 10-01-2005 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

if it only happens while braking --brake rotors are warped

91crx_87 10-03-2005 12:49 AM

id say get your wheels balanced and then go from there, your rim could also be bent

shoobie 10-03-2005 04:29 PM

I agree with the warped brake rotors...