Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange gearbox problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Default Strange gearbox problem

This is a very strange problem as least to me. Whenever it rains and the streets are partially flooded, the gears become extremely difficult to change. It feels as though the clutch is not disengaging. However if i manage to get it from neutral to 1st, it does not stall, but the stick then doesn't want to come out of 1st. No matter what gear i am in, the stick does not want to move, i really have to force it. I am wondering if there is something electronic involved that malfunctions if it gets wet since it only happens after i have driven through water. After driving on dry road for a while everything goes back to normal.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Default RE: Strange gearbox problem

anyone?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Thats really weird i would take it to a dealer.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 PM

My local dealer is rather expensive so i am hoping HCF can help before i commit myself to going to the dealer.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Anyone who can offer a suggestion.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

Sorry I wish I could help you, but if you post this under the transmission section, you might get quite a few more views.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the fluid level in the clutch reservoir, it's on the firewall next to the brake master cylinder. If you have a pre-1992 model there is an adjustable mechanical clutch cable instead of a hydraulic system.

The thing about rain may be just coincidence. It's not electric at all.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

i had the same problem on my civic. i had to adjust the shift linkage and now every so often i still have to but its ten times better and a little antisize helps to.. gl

Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: stevie b

i had the same problem on my civic. i had to adjust the shift linkage and now every so often i still have to but its ten times better and a little antisize helps to.. gl
Ok, this sounds like a good place to start. How exactly do I go about adjusting the shift linkage. By the way, my civic is 97 coupe DX.
thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Do you have a short shifter?

Have you ever changed the shifter bushings?

The bushings might be seized, that happened to me a few years ago, after I let the car sit for 3 weeks and went to Europe....

Maybe get a spray can of white lithium grease, crawl under the car and spray down the joints at both ends of the linkage. See if that helps.

Honestly though, it sounds like a clutch problem, not a shift linkage problem

Quick Reply: Strange gearbox problem