Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange gearbox problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Default RE: Strange gearbox problem

ok, i never changed any bushings on that part of the car. Is still has the standard shifter as far as i know because i never changed it. I changed the clutch about a year and a half ago and put in a stage 1. I have some spray lithium grease but I am unsure of exactly what the linkage is and where exactly to find it

Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
mxs
HCF Member

It's two big metal bars that are connected to your transmission. The shifter end will be above part of your exhaust.

Looks like this

or this
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t.../photo_24.html
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t.../photo_25.html

Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 AM

So i guess I would spray the white lithium at the ends of it. By the way, if it needs adjusting can you guide me as to what to do?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 AM
mxs
HCF Member

There is nothing to adjust in the shift linkage.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 AM

Ok guys I went overseas for a few weeks but so i am now back to deal with the civic problems. I tried the Lithium grease on the linkage but it didnt really rain until yesterday. I drove through some water that was about the height of the muffler and when I tried the change the gear, the stick wouldnt move. I spoke to another guy who said there are rubber stoppers in the gearbox/ clutch casing and one may be missing allowing water to get inside.
(1) Is this true?
(2) How do i fix it?
(3) What damage, short term or long term could I be looking at?
thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you already ruled out mk378's ideas about low clutch fluid level and/or the improper clutch pedal adjustment? Such issues could potentially worsen a more minor clutch problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

How does water in the gearbox keep it from gear changing.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

not wanting to jack the thread, but i dont really want to post a new thread when the same idea applies to me. its not that when it rains i cant shift, its when i go into reverse it wont fully go into reverse, i have to try a few times and sometimes it only goes in a little bit so when i let off it grinds a small amount, i ruled the fact that if i hold the shifter and slowly let clutch out it pops in gear which does not bother me, just would like to know what it is? i have a feeling it is a bushing if i can i'll jack this photo http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t.../photo_24.htmland right above his hand on my car on the shift linkage there is a rubber bushing and my auto teacher does not believe there should be any play in it, it appears that the bushing has some play and might be worn out any ideas.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM

In reply to Ronj. The clutch fluid level is good. And the adjustment is fine. I have little problems when driving normally. It only gives trouble when driving through water. Like if water is getting in somewhere where it shouldn't and I have to wait until it drains out for the gearshift to move. It just feels as though water is stopping the clutch from disengaging properly. The gears also grind too which helps narrow it down to a clutch problem. Unless the throw out bearing is getting wet and malfunctioning.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, I agree it sounds like an unusual type of problem with the clutch itself. If so, will you replace yourself or pay a mechanic to do it?

Quick Reply: Strange gearbox problem