Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stuck door latch, need help badly (99 Civic LX)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
HCF Member
Default Stuck door latch, need help badly (99 Civic LX)

Hi there,

I posted a comment a week or so ago about my rear passenger door handle not working (outer handle). I replaced the plastic fitting that broke and when I went to put the door back together, it wouldn't shut. Sure enough, the door latch is closed, and can't be opened from the inside or the outside... Can anyone offer any help? I have to go to school in 5 hours and I fear having to tape my door shut....

Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
HCF Member

so i'm guessing you installed the door and now you can't unlock/open it from the inside or outside?

well this exact thing happened to my buddies civic when we replaced his door. we ended up taking off the door panel and taking it to a shop to have them literally destroy the latch on the door holding it onto the car. then we put in another door.... there might be a simple way but nothing the shop nor we could find

Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

The door is open right now and won't shut because the latch is engaged and won't disengage to allow the door to close. Also, the child-safety lock switch won't move either... it's like the latch is jammed. The only this I did was connect the door handle back to the latch. I didn't mess with any of the inner workings of the latch. I don't understand this mess. I'm going to have to tape this stupid thing shut ... and probably tear my stereo system out. Ugh.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The latch bar may have snapped closed with the door open. Put a screwdriver in the slot on the latch (the part that grabs the bar or pin on the frame of the car) and pull it toward the inside of the door as you also pull the door handle. When the latch is already in the closed position, you can't close the door.