Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stud replace help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Default stud replace help

I broke my front stud, i got four new tires and they inpacted my lugs on there at LEAST 100 pounds and they were real bad getting off. Soo one of myfront studs broke and i kno you have to take that big bolt off in the center of the hub but i cannot get that thing off. I purchaseda new bolt for that and the new stud already and i kno you need an axle puller or soemthing well they rent that here at the autozone up the street soo thats not the problem. The problem is i cannot get that bolt off! i heated it up made it glowing red wouldnt come off i broke a craftsman breaker bar trying it and used an impact gun and none of these seem to work. i soaked the thing everyday in pb blast also just to top it off and nothing is working any suggestions? beleive me i called the place pissed off but they couldnt do nothing about it becase i did brake it but what they didnt understand is it wouldnt have broke if it was set at the specs it should be at in the first place.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: stud replace help

how short is the stud now, if you can take a pic I may be able to give you a easy way to get it off.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Well im sure i can get the broken stud out but how would i get the new one in? without taking the whole hub assembly off. Ill take a pic in the morning.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 AM

Gahhi couldnt get a picture my camera wont upload it for some reason. Anyone have any suggestion on how to get that big bolt out that holds the hub assembly on.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Taking the big nut off will remove the CV axle-- but the hub, bearings, and knuckle will remain pressed together. I think you have to have a press to press the hub out to replace a stud properly. If you were to take the CV axle, tie rod, and upper and lower ball joints off you can take the knuckle assembly to a shop and have it done.

Someone has posted a shortcut method where you grind part of the back of the stud off so it can be inserted with the hub still in place.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM

All this work for a darn stud =/

Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

Ive heard that for some years or models, you can rotate the hub around & find a certain position where there's clearance to feed the stud in, perhaps thru some slot or releif in the knuckle. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible for my '95 GSR, but be sure you try all possible positions before pressing out the hub.

Perhaps if you explain toa shop, they can press it out only far enough for clearance to install the stud. If they don't press it all the way out,maybe there's less chance of destroying the bearing.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM

Yah i have to take care of it soon 3 lugs i couldnt see standing the weioght of a vehicle driving freeway and all.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

the stud screws into the hub, if you can fit 2 nuts on it and turn the inside one out it will twist the whole stud out. hit it with a **** load of pb blaster before hand

Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM

what you can do is remove the dust shield around the hub, you'll need to remove a few small screws and then use a pair of tin snips to cut it in the thin portion where your caliper sits. twist it all up and remove it, then grind a flat spot on the lip of the new wheel stud right down so it's level with the top of the splines. With the dust shield gone and that flat spot, you can get a new stud in without removing the axle nut, which is "staked" to the axle by the way, which sounds like something most people wouldn't overlook, but I've had a lip on the inside of one that i had to actually tighten the nut slightly before I could get a small punch in there.

Quick Reply: stud replace help