Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stupid question o_O

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
HCF Member
Question Stupid question o_O

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the center console/stick area/front dash to be able to clean, and rewire the radio and 12V plug! Is there a certain order items need to be removed in? I'm doing the work while parked on a street, and can't keep jumping in and out of the car to take things off, just to find out I didn't need to remove it (I also need to replace my headliner, but another day - I've been warned that once it comes off, I'll never get it back in place again!) ...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

For the center console/stick area, You have to remove the back portion (arm rest in most) prior to removing the front. To remove the back, there are a total of four screws. Two in the back, and two where the front part of the console meets the rear part of the console. You maybe have to move the seats up and down to access each screw individually.

The front portion now has 4 screws 2 of on each side (in the middle and toward where your feet are). They should be easily seen. After that, you should be able to pull it off.

As for the radiator set-up. I haven't had all of the stock bolts in there in years so I wish I could help you a little more on that.

Headliners can be dropped and installed with no problems. Ask you friend how do people re-wrap their headliners and reinstall it with no problem? I have re-wrapped my twice so far and reinstalled with no problems. It takes a good portion of the day to drop it since everything needs to be removed, but it is definitely possible.

Rewrapped once:
Name:  12209-Interiorfinished4.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  80.2 KB

Rewrapped twice (along with dropping the sunroof, pulling the cover out and rewrapping that, too):
Name:  061010-Thomasheadliner2.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  76.9 KB

OOOhhh and you can do the center console and door panels, too!

Name:  060510-Thomasinterior2.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  71.9 KB

I have since changed the doors and center console to black. The headliner needs to be re-done again since my son is no longer interested in Thomas the Train. haha. I am thinking something Pac-Man, or Super Mario related.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

PAC-MAN! PAC-MAN!

I just replaced everything you are talking about, it is not hard at all, look through the dash removal threads, since they have all the steps you need. But I ended up just looking for screws and carefully labeling everything. And headliner is very easy, was way easier than visors and doors ect.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Headliners can be dropped and installed with no problems. Ask you friend how do people re-wrap their headliners and reinstall it with no problem? I have re-wrapped my twice so far and reinstalled with no problems. It takes a good portion of the day to drop it since everything needs to be removed, but it is definitely possible.
The people I've talked to generally don't know squat about cars - One 'kid' tried to install a new radio in his Maxima, and now the thing is sitting in his yard rusting because when he removed the stock radio and installed the new one, none of his lights work, inside or out - I would like to AVOID problems like that LOL - I would love to be able to re-wrap most of the interior (That tan color is just depressing - I want to go with black or grey), but can't take a chance on screwing it up, and I'm finding out NOTHING is cheap, even to DIY :-s

Main project today is to 'try' to get the center console/armrest/front dash apart - This ought to be FUN :-P

Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 AM
HCF Member

I'd like to add another 'stupid question', if I may LOL:

I'm trying to figure out what my average mileage is, and was able to go 188.2 miles on exactly 6 gallons of gas - I have this coming out to 31.4MPG, which seems way too good for a '97 - Is this really possible to be getting 31MPG ???

I'm used to 6 and 8's, and getting 20MPG was a stretch for most of them :-P

Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 AM

The best way to do it is to fill up the tank, reset the trip meter, drive around, then re-fill up the tank. Take the number of miles on the trip meter and divide it by the amount of gallons you just put in the tank (the second time of course)

Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by relentlesstech
I'd like to add another 'stupid question', if I may LOL:

I'm trying to figure out what my average mileage is, and was able to go 188.2 miles on exactly 6 gallons of gas - I have this coming out to 31.4MPG, which seems way too good for a '97 - Is this really possible to be getting 31MPG ???

I'm used to 6 and 8's, and getting 20MPG was a stretch for most of them :-P
Certainly understandable coming from bigger motors; I came from v8 performance and a HO v6 daily driver myself that never got better than ~17mpg. My 97 DX gets 32+ with me driving it like I stole it 98% of the time.

Gotta love small, super-efficient motors!

I do use cvcrcr99's full-tank method to track mileage though (that, and an app on my android).

Old 03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

that sounds about right. I usually average about 30 mpg and I have a bad O2 sensor throwing a CEL light

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 AM
HCF Member

I think I'm going to s**t myself! Last night I put 14 gallons in, hopped on the highway, and went as far as I could before the tank was almost completely drained - On 14 gallons, I went 453.4 miles, which I figured to be a little over 32MPG - And I haven't even changed the oil or air filter yet! The last time I had a car this good on gas was when I had a Volkswagen Rabbit, back when I was 19, and gas was only $.83! I LOVE MY HONDA !!! :-D

There's an app for mileage ??? My Evo is Android - Where would I find the app?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by relentlesstech
There's an app for mileage ??? My Evo is Android - Where would I find the app?
I have an evo too. Search the market for 'mileage' and 'acar'. I use both of those pretty regularly. Mileage is what I've been using of late, but acar does mileage tracking as well as maintenance tracking, so I'm trying to get transitioned over to that one.

The only hard part is remembering to enter your data before you drive off and mess the odometer numbers up! hah

Quick Reply: Stupid question o_O