Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Synthetic Oil Facts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Synthetic Oil Facts

I am wanting to list my rust free CRX Si Chassis In classifieds, but I need 25 posts here first. So I am going to cover a few things in the next few minutes in approximatly 25 posts in order to offer this car to you guys.

Synthetic Oil.
Here are the myths-

Synthetic oil is thinner
Synthetic oil will blow past piston rings and cause oil burning
Synthetic oil is bad for old motors
Synthetic WILL make your car with a lot of miles leak.

The truth.
Synthetic oil is the same thickness as a comparitive dino oil (ie: 10w-30) and is not actually thinner. However, it does flow better than dino juice due to a higer range of temperature operating conditions.

Synthetic oil will not cause your car to leak... unless it has existing leaks which are covered by varnish from dino juice, causing it not to currently leak. The detergents and properties in synthetic oil will usually wash away these clogs and causes a slight leak to develope. For example, valve cover seals and cam seals on the B series motors.

As long as you don't have existing leaks, synthetic is not bad to use. It will not leak past piston rings and burn. If it does, your motor was already screwed. Synthetic oil may develope leaks on a motor once initially used due to the washing of these varnishes. However, the solvents and detergents do a better job of penetrating and conditioning these seals, which give it a chance to soften and swell the seals back up, which may cause the leak to disappear eventually. Once synthetic oil is used, you should not go back to regular dino oil. Synthetic oil molecules like to bond to the surfaces that it is applied to. Over time these molecules will degrade or shear, and can only be replaced by another synthetic molecule. Dino juice will simply sit on top of these worn molecules and may exacerbate engine wear.

I switched to synthetic on multiple vehicles with existing mileage, with no problems. It is said that if Synthetic oil is used in 100 cars with more than 60k miles on it, only 8-10 will develope minor leaks.

IMHO, the best oils to use are Castrol Synthetic, Mobil 1 syn, Valvoline syn, and of course AMSoil. Of course everyone has their own opinion.

24 more posts to go.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

good info and all very true

thanks for killing the myths.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
HCF Member
Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by inthezoneac

No, it isn't, not even by a long shot.

Listen, until you do the research and can back your "facts" up with something other than that video, I'm deleting every one of your posts like this.

We are NOT going to have this arguement every day, in multiple threads.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
HCF Member

well if people stop creating the same topic over and over they could use the search function. But since this new thread is allowed what harm does it do to repeat my answer/opinion?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Forty04
No, it isn't, not even by a long shot.

Listen, until you do the research and can back your "facts" up with something other than that video, I'm deleting every one of your posts like this.

We are NOT going to have this arguement every day, in multiple threads.
+1

It sounds like the guy copy 'n pasted that from somewhere.. Honestly, who posts random stuff like that? What do they think we are, idiots?

We need to sticky one of the better synthetic oil threads, so all the n00bs can see it and stop posting rediculous questions and wasting the forum space.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

I agree vilex. I just took the links from another post on this site about royal purple in a repeat thread and put them here. A stick would solve everything.

I use RP, others use RP. How else can I prove it? Next time I'll say I think it's the best. Or should I put "opinion" next to every post I make?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Just stop posting "Royal Purple is the best" and there won't be any issue

Opinions are fine, thats why we're all here

Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM

As far as 'the oil is thinner' the 'oil isn't thinner' I agree with the 1st post in this thread, however there is a more scientific way to state it:

When the oil is at room temperature or let's say it's winter and you're going to pour Synthetic in your engine, yes it's thinner then. When it's at operating temperature in your engine, it's exactly at the viscosity it's rated at that's where the rating comes from. Dyno oil starts thick and really thins out bad when it get's hot where Synthetic is more flat (thins less as it's heated). So basically it will seem thinner to you but it's not really....

I'm new here... What's wrong with Royal Purple because the manufacturer is sure pround of it!??

Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM

I use Synthetic Valvoline when I can get it, Mobil 1 if I can't....

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Facts