Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temp. gauge going up and down

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Default Temp. gauge going up and down

I have a 95 civic DX and the temperature gauge on the interior gauge cluster keeps on going up and down at a rapid pace. I know that the temperature of a car probably could not flucuate that quickly, so I'm wondering what it could be? The car only has 75k on it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Temp. gauge going up and down

Uh oh! That usually means you have a head gasket leak or a cracked block. Check your oil and see if the color looks normal, or if it's kinda like hot chocolate.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like my car! I have a '95 DX as well, and the head gasket started going last September, but I didn't do anything about it until May of this year (don't be stupid like me!). Get yourself into a reuputable shop and get a pressure test.

Total repair was about $625. A big chunk out of my wallet, but it's cheaper than a new engine down the line!

Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

what do you mean by up and down at a rapid pace? If the needle is jumping around randomly it could be as simple as a grounding issue on the guage. If the needle is moving up and down in a smooth movement then yes it could be a head gasket, warped head or cracked head. get it checked out soon.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

or a thermostat thats stuck open.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM

Mine was doing that about a month ago. These guys are great. Told me it was the head gasket and it was, my head was also warped .01". Get it machined, put a new head gasket on it, and your all fixed. Be sure to get it pressure checked also.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 AM

So let us know what the problem actually is so that future HCFers know.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:03 AM

I have recently seen the same problem. The gauge goes up and then back down slowly, but never gets real hot. I also noticed a loss of power when this happens. There's no smoke, and the engine runs great for about 30 minutes,no sputter, no misses and great acceleration..then seems to get sluggish. I relaced a stuck thermostat about 2 weeks ago, and there wasn't any problems til just a few days ago. Someone told me that I need to bleed the cooling system that I have air in it,..and there's a bleed port next to the thermostat,..? The oil looks ok,..no smoke, and no leaks,..is this a possible fix....jim

Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

i would think that it is the wiring (especially important to check it right there where it goes into the coolant temp sensor, or the sensor itself).

Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 AM

Honda's have really small ports in the radiator too.... look for a green "fungus" on the top of it, if it's there change it!

Quick Reply: Temp. gauge going up and down