Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

test pipe or high flow cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Default test pipe or high flow cat?

so i finally blew my converter out and it's time to fill the void, question is if i use a test pipe can i keep my ck engine light off or would i have to go with a high flow, both have spot for o2 sensor what should i do?

2000 civic ex d16y8

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: test pipe or high flow cat?

is the O2 sensor plug BEFORE or AFTER THE cat? if its before then you should be fine BUT I WOULD SUGEST to buy a new cat converter. magnaflow sells some replacement ones that are pretty reasonable... id rather keep the cat, your not going to gain much if any extra performance from removing it... but if you do get inspections in your area then the cops can hit you hard for not having a cat converter!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:39 PM

fortunately i live in ohio and there are no converter laws or inspections, but the sensor is at the front end of the converter, so makes sence. do you have any idea why my gas mileage has sucked since my check engine light came on for the converter?

addicted2bass is that black civic lowered at all? or just bigger rims, im lowering my 2000 on thursday and my concern is how low my oil pan is with no frame to protect, i had an 89 accord lowered 4 inches but the frame hung down past the oil pan bottom.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
HCF Member

high flow cat so you can pass emissions

Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

well ill tell ya what...im pretty sure those 02 sensors are expecting two diff readings...so test pipe would probably throw stuff off...like crazy..and if you can sleep at night for putting on a straight pipe....then god have mercy on your soul....j/k j/k put high flow on...

Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if the CEL light came on it could just be a bad sensor thats throwing off the computer giving it such horible milage.... if ya got a welder you could always just cut open the cat and just bust the guts outta it with a hammer and weld it back together.

i had to do it on my old 96jimmy truck that the back half was rattling from the guts busting loose i just cut open the cat and pulled out the busted back half of it and welded it back up. no CEL at least but then again half of it was good....

and ya in that picture in my sig both civics are lowered BUT i just sold the drop stuff from the black civic, still has my 17s tho but back on stock suspension tho and my project blue civic is also on stock suspension. i just havent had good enough weather to bust both of them out together for afew pictures...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 AM

yeah the weather... i just paid $1900 to have a a whole new front end put on my 2000 civic(bought it wrecked) it spent all week in a nice dry garage, i picked it up perfectly painted and fresh wax and had to drive it out onto the snowy streets of cincinnati.... winter sucks

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's against federal law to remove or hollow out a converter, it's just a question of whether anyone will ever check.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

do you think that regardless of what you install (test pipe or high flow cat). As long as the sensor is placed before those 2 that you will be fine with emissions test? coz the first thread seems to sound just like that....Please explain....coz if thats the case then why would you install a highflow if you can pass emissions with a testpipe where you can gain horsepower....now for kbeezy13....if youre a religious racer...then a gain of hp is a fuel to win....hahahahah

Old 02-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Note to all.. If you decide to hollow out a cat wear gloves and eye protection.. That stuff is poison, Had a friend lose vision in one eye over it... FYI

Quick Reply: test pipe or high flow cat?