Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Test Pipe vs. Catalytic Converter question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Test Pipe vs. Catalytic Converter question...

ok....right now I have a complete catback exhaust system with racing headers and test pipe. It is really really really loud and raspy in my opinion. Also, Im not so sure that I can pass an Emitions test anymore because of the test pipe. Plus, my car isnt street legal anymore because of the test pipe. So, if I swopped the test pipe out fora stock Catalytic Converter will I pass an Emitions test? And will my car be considered stree legal because of the test pipe not being there anymore? The reason I am asking this is because right now I dont think I can get an inspection sticker because of the emitions test....I think I would fail it because of the catalytic converter not being there to clean the exhaust.
Would there be that much of a difference in sound between a test pipe and a stock catalytic converter? If I could get rid of alot of the raspyness....that would be great. And just have a deep and full sounding exhaust....with maybe just a hint of raspy in it...lol. : )

Aaron

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Test Pipe vs. Catalytic Converter question...

i say leave the stock cat on....
my 94civic has it removed and its raspy as hell! i need to get a replacement cat....

Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
mxs
HCF Member

if I swopped the test pipe out for a stock Catalytic Converter will I pass an Emitions test?
maybe, depends what else you have done.

the cat acts as a muffler too. putting one back in should make it quieter.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

The previous owner of my car put a resonator in the place of the cat and it sounds fine but you aren't going to pass emissions until you put a cat back on it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

if you put a stock cat back on there, yu should be good. That is what deals with the emissions, not the catback exhaust.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

Thats exactly what I needed to hear guys. Thanks for the info.

ok....well, when I took off the stock exhaust on my 97 HX the catalytic converter was welded on. Therefore, I couldnt enbolt it and reuse it....so, which model/year civics have an unboltable catalytic converter that will fit my 97 hx? Can I use just any honda civic catatlytic converter even if it came off of a different model/year civic?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

Since you got an aftermarket header and catback my guess would be you want more power right? Then get a highflow cat because that stock one is gonna choke your exhaust.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

I thought about that, but I dont want to have to spend much money than I have too.....I've already spent more money on this exhaust than I had originally wanted. I was just thinking of looking around locally and seeing if I can find someone with a recked civic or a civic for parts and maybe take the stock cat off of it. Im hoping to maybe get one for like $50 or so....if I can fins one. I would go to a junk yard and find one, but I think its illegal for them to sell catalytic converters....so, I guess I'll look around first and if I dont find anything, then I might consider buying a new cat.

Would I still be able to pass emitions with a "high flow" catalytic converter? Like the one found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...spagenameZWDVW

Would this one be louder than a stock catalytic converter? I'm kinda trying to go more on the quiter side....or atleast to get rid of some of the raspy mess.....lol

Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

I don't really know about OBX, it is ebay crap so I have no idea how good it would be at actually removing emissions like a normal one should. I would either go magnaflow or stock. Besides, you could get a ceramic magnaflow for less than $145 and know that your getting a good product.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

ya, I know ebay stuff is usually junk...but ya gatta do what ya gatta do when your tight on money I guess.....lol. I'll probably go for stock...plus, I really dont care about power gain cause this is my everyday car. Im not in to performance all that much I mean....im only 16....and this is my first car....so, ya.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe vs. Catalytic Converter question...