Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Testing wiring, between wiper motor/switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
It may be that the crank arm has slipped position on the motor shaft. So the motor stops at "zero" like it's supposed to
It still sweeps within it's limits, goes down to the bottom of the windshield when it's doing it's wipe, but comes back up to park.

It appears to have all the classic signs of a bad reed switch, but I'll test the hell out of everything to be sure. Luckily it's supposed to be mild this weekend, and my parents will be in town so they can babysit my daughter while I hide in the garage

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

Wiper motor solved the problem; went with an aftermarket rebuild, so hopefully it stays good. I'll have to remove the linkage again to clock the arm from the motor to the linkage a bit. The wipers come back up a fraction of an inch before parking...or maybe I should just leave it all well enough alone...any votes? Sometimes in my pursuit of perfection I just create more problems...OCD anyone.

Thanks again for the help guys, and I continue to be impressed by Ron's mad technical reference diagram skills

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mudferret
...and I continue to be impressed by Ron's mad technical reference diagram skills
Congrats on another excellent fix.

Thanks also for the kind words, though it really doesn't take any technical skill to post relevant pages from the available service manuals.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Congrats on another excellent fix.

Thanks also for the kind words, though it really doesn't take any technical skill to post relevant pages from the available service manuals.
Yes, but it takes thought and time.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi, RonJ -
I have a '91 civic with a problem similar to Mudferret's. Recently my wipers stopped parking and I have no intermittent. I printed the pages from the manual and tested the switch, and it tested fine. I even took it all apart and cleaned it - it's full of sliding contacts. At that point, I was convinced that I needed another wiper motor, so I bought one, used, of course. No change, same problems. On the OBD0 cars, are the parking and intermittent functions in the wiper motor? They sure aren't in the switch. I could sure use some guidance from you here. Thanks in advance!
- Rob

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Default Throuble finding a short

Originally Posted by RonJ
To obtain relevant and correct answers to questions, you should consider placing the year and model of your Civic in your signature. Is it a 98 Civic? If so,:

Based on the circuit diagram, the Blu and Blu/Yel wire should have continuity when tested from the switch end to the motor end.

The Blk wire at the switch should also have continuity to body ground, and the Grn/Blk wire at the motor should have 12V with the ignition key turned to ON(II).

Attachment 21871
I have a 2000 Honda Civic dx where the fuse #26 for the wipers keeps blowing. Already tested the motor and it seems fine. My question is, if I put a new fuse in and don’t turn on the wipers from the switch and the fuse still blows; will that rule out the icu and wiper switch? Or is constant power going to the icu even though switch is not on? I really think it’s the icu where the problem lies. However, by knowing what I asked will help narrowing if it’s actually the ignition switch. Hope someone can help.