Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is there a way to make my car idle higher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Default Is there a way to make my car idle higher?

It's a 95 LX and when sitting at a stop it idles pretty low, never dies but feels like it could. Is there a way I can adjust that?

Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Default RE: Is there a way to make my car idle higher?

adjust the accel. cable, make it tighter

Old 07-27-2005, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

nah i dont think thats how u do it. lol. Im pretty sure there is an idle adjust screw or something of that sort.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

nah i dont think thats how u do it. lol. Im pretty sure there is an idle adjust screw or something of that sort.
Yeah, thats what I thought too. Thats how cars I've had in the past have been.
Anyone know where the screw is?

Old 07-28-2005, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

It should be on the throttle body, a guy i knew had an old Acura Vigor that did the same thing.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:05 PM

I'll keep looking. Does anyone know which way to turn once I find it? Do I have to reset the ECU after? Can i over turn it?

Old 07-31-2005, 10:10 AM

Please help... Someone... Anyone... help

Old 07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

i think you should check the idle senser

Old 07-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Stupid question, where is that and how do I check it?

Old 07-31-2005, 11:09 PM

I own a 99 Civic EX and had a similar problem. Idle speed felt like it was way too low. Kicked the idle speed up by turning the idle speed screw (you can see a photo of this in the Haynes manual) and promptly got the Check Engine light on. When this occurs the engine goes into what is referred to as 'limp home mode' or 'safe mode' and the car will run like donkey excrement. Not the solution!

I had the dealership going nuts over this one. They put their computer/analyzer on it and couldn't find a problem. I tried changing the Idle Air Controller, the grounds, the plugs and wires - no fix. The dealership called their Double Secret Probation Honda Service line that is only available to dealer mechanics for advice. They were told to check the motor mounts as this car is particularly sensitive to idle vibration if the motor mounts are shot.

The previous owner had replaced two of the three motor mounts with these #@$!@ kevlar mounts. The why-fore of this is well beyond the scope of my comprehension. Anywho, the dealership replaced the motor mounts and *poof* end of vibration problems. They reset the idle into the proper range (it has a +/- range that must be met or else the Check Engine light will kick on and you enter safe mode) and did a complete ECM reset and that did the trick.

This is a tough problem on these cars; there are numerous posts regarding this subject on this forum. I hope this information helps you and May the Schwartz Be With You.

Mike

Quick Reply: Is there a way to make my car idle higher?