Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Default Throttle Problems

I have a 1993 honda civic. I recently replaced the head gasket after the car overheated. The head was resurfaced and placed back on. I also replaced the water pump and the timing belt in the process. I am having a problem with power. The car is like driving up a very steep hill. Driving down the road seems impossible. I double checked the timing and verified the book specifications. The belt is tight also. I checked the spark for fire and it has fire even when dying. I am not sure whether the problem could be a sensor, or something else. It doesnt make much sense that a sensor would have gone out only after reassembling the motor. I am looking for any suggestions that you can make. The car idles fine, though not as well as previously. However, when I push the gas it doesnt rev up like normal. As far as I can tell, it is something to do with the fuel aparatus. It seems as if the fuel injectors are shutting off when the gas is pressed even slightly. The car runs up until about halfway through the throttle range. At that point, it dies like it has no gas or air. If anyone can make suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Throttle Problems

If all your connectors are tight and there are no broken parts, most probably you are off a tooth or two with your timing. Try to move timing belt one tooth in either direction and see what happens.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

reset the timing from scratch. if you just move it one way or the other, you might go the wrong way, and that will put you in dangerous territory for the valves to hit the pistons.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

reset the timing from scratch. if you just move it one way or the other, you might go the wrong way, and that will put you in dangerous territory for the valves to hit the pistons.
Guess you are right - I did not think about this

Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 PM

Thanks Misha. I checked the timing several times. Also, I moved the timing belt both both directions and the car ran best ligned up correctly. However, the throttle response was still the same. Also, all of the connections are tight. Has anyone seen problems with throttle body sensors or injectors as described?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

Are all injectors running properly? IS it throwing a check engiine light? Are there any kind of symptoms? Where did you get the timing specs from?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM

All injectors are indeed working. There is no check engine light. The specs were out of the standard Honda work book. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

My next bet would be running reach. However, I never had honda engine running reach on me and never troubleshooted one. Theoretically this could be MAP sensor, TP sensor, etc., but all of them should trigger CEL if malfunctioning. But it could be something as simple as a rag forgotten inside intake manifold, btw Do you have any idea how your fuel consumption changed?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

And, about timing, btw. Your head was resurfaced - do you know how much they shaved? This will affect your timing.