Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Timing belt and water pump

Sooo....... my 05 civic ex has 97000 miles and I figure it's time for a timing belt and a water pump. Went to my Honda dealer and they want $810 for the complete job, including antifreeze and oil change. That number almost knocked me over. I've been a small block Chevy guy for many years and have always done all of my mechanical work. Was the dealer's number reasonable or should I look around for another source? I want someone who does this kind of work so there are no problems afterward. Maybe someone from the Buffalo N.Y. area can suggest a good local mechanic in the area. Thanks guys!
Duane

Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

It isnt fun to do in civics, but parts are cheap, and labor from my mechanic is a little over 200$, i would find a different mechanic. Oil change is 20$ and antifreeze is like 10$ for a huge bottle of it, neither is much labor.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

Dealerships are a RIP & have been for years. I worked as a line mechanic in a few dealerships back in the day & man do they screw people with charges & price. Find an independent shop. I use shops, as I need. When looking for a new shop go interview the owner. See if he is on your page. If you think you found one have them do a small job.If the price & work are to your standards then let the owner know if that is going to be the normal then I'll use you as I need work done. The problem is most people don't ask questions or tell what they expect. Your paying for his service, so get what you pay for.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

I concur with the others that the dealer is not the place to get it done. Timing belt replacements are a fact of life for any mechanic. I'd look for someone who specializes in Hondas. There should be many in your neighborhood. Or ask around about those who do hondas.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

When I had my timing belt/pump estimated I was given a $300-600 range which to me still seems high. I paid $150 in parts and bought a friend a pack of beer. I'd say it was a good deal

Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Can't get a better deal than that. If I were to do it myself, which I plan to in about 2 yrs, I'd reward myself afterwards as well. So no additional monies lost. Great friend you got there.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

Why in two years? It's surprisingly easy. I'm not exactly an expert and it was quite satisfying learning how to take it apart and how the components work and what not, but I would definitely do it supervised O.o Mine was off enough the first run around that we had to go back the next day and adjust.. think it was advanced or something O.o That's kind of the cool thing about my town.. we have a lot of crews and we all try to keep each others stuff maintained if we have the ability or means to do so.. and I enjoy detailing which most men do not..

Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

+1 On doing the work yourself it saves you allot of $$$ and it is also allot more rewarding. I will never take my car or bikes to any shop because I love getting my hands dirty and learning how everything works. It may at sometimes give you headaches when things dont go right but dont give up! There is plenty of resources and people out there that are willing to help.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
HCF Member

Just definitely get help. Just the slightest miss adjustment/measurement and my car was stuttering, but a five min fix and it's fine. I have always thought it was cool to watch the dirt run off your hands when you wash them and you realized just how dirty you got.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Sooo....... my 05 civic ex has 97000 miles and I figure it's time for a timing belt and a water pump. Went to my Honda dealer and they want $810 for the complete job, including antifreeze and oil change. That number almost knocked me over. I've been a small block Chevy guy for many years and have always done all of my mechanical work. Was the dealer's number reasonable or should I look around for another source? I want someone who does this kind of work so there are no problems afterward. Maybe someone from the Buffalo N.Y. area can suggest a good local mechanic in the area. Thanks guys!
Duane
If you have any mechanical experience, as you suggested, you can do this job yourself.

I have very little experience and knocked it out pretty easily, except I was about 1 tooth off TDC. Just pay attention to the marks on the crankshaft and inner timing belt cover.

Of course this was for a 1998 Civic, but just get a manual. I used Haynes and it helped.

Quick Reply: Timing belt and water pump