Timing too far advanced - HondaCivicForum.com

Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Timing too far advanced

About a month and a half ago, I had the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Honda Civic LX. When I got the car back the engine was loud, but drove OK so I asked the shop if they checked the base timing, but they said that since the timing was computer controlled there was no need. Anyway, last week I bought an inductance type timing light (my older spring model wouldn't fit the Civic), jumpered out the ECU and saw that the base timing was at 21˚ btdc instead of the 16˚ btdc that it should be. I reset the timing and the car drives much better now.
Since the timing was so far advanced, was my engine damaged in any way during the month I drove it like this, or did the computer and knock sensor prevent this by retarding the timing.

Thanks, Randy
Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM

It's been 5 days, does anyone know if this caused any damage?