Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top out at 120mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Top out at 120mph

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

Ok as long as your a mature person when it comes to speed, the reason i acted the way i did originally is cause most of these threads go like this "my car topped out at 115mph on the highway on my way home, how can i go faster?"

Fiirkan is "The Decider"

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

Ok as long as your a mature person when it comes to speed, the reason i acted the way i did originally is cause most of these threads go like this "my car topped out at 115mph on the highway on my way home, how can i go faster?"

Fiirkan is "The Decider"
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/rules.asp
Moderators and Administrators have final word in anything and everything. If you have a problem or a complaint direct it to them, not to the general forums. They will then take the appropriate actions. This applies to issues with the forum in general, as well as issues with other members.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Stinky Administrator

Fiirkan is "The Decider"
then you can call me "MR.Ban"

Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Peg_Leg

Fiirkan is "The Decider"
then you can call me "MR.Ban"
how do you feel about capitan ban

Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you want to kill yourself...... talk to your local tuner shops..... im sure they will help you... lets face it your paying them to do it! and they got the computers to tweek the computer.....

not to be an @ss but you can swear up and down its for track purpose only but if the info is posted.... theres GONNA BE some stupid kid thats gonna run out and go try and tweek his car.....

think about it... the more speed you pickup more bad things can happen! either it be a little dirt on the road/track, rabit runing across the road/track, tire not being rated for that speed, a blown strut, other suspension parts breaking.... hell i bird could take a crap on your windshield that freaks you out enough to just flinch.... and at that speed it only takes a slight wobble and the car gets squirly for just a fraction of a second your gonna be past the point of no return and you can do nothing but KISS YOUR @SS GOOD BYE!!!!!! at 100+mph and the car slides alittle to either side its gonna be the barrel roll of death!!!

thats the main reason why race cars that go that fast are built complelty! rollcage/ safety equipment harnesses fire suits, special tires/rims/ as well as tires ballanced for that speed.

we dont need another statistic and if you think about the dangers that come with speed you might think twice about going that fast again no matter where your at!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Thank you to 'The Decider' and 'Captin Ban' for hearing me out. Believe me losing a friend i've had since birth 1/2 a mile from his house on a road he travelled down every night to get home is enough to teach anyone about what speed and unexpected conditions can do.
To people bothered if my setup is track worthy all i can say is i've been involved in building and setting up and testing our own uk style formula 2 stock cars all my life so i know that the time to speed is on the track as surely there are enough tw@s on the road that are a danger to themselves and others that the world can do without another.
Basically my car is limited Honda obviously know what they're doing so why should i fiddle with it.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

There are dozens of threadson this forumthat advocate faster 0-60 times. Dozens of threads that ask about increasing cornering ability. Dozens of threads that ask how to make a Civic faster than a Cobalt or Mustang or (fill in the blank). No one flames those threads, although all of them are advocating something illegal or dangerous. Why are the only threads that get flamed by the administrators the ones that talk about top speed? All of the above mentioned threads/activities can be just as dangerous as a top speed run, especially if passengers are in the car or two cars are racing to see who is faster.

Some of us do live by the Bonneville salt flats or have access to Road America (I used to). Some of us even live in remote areas of the country where the only thing we could hit would be a jack rabbit. Please stop being so arbitrary and judgemental. Either allow all racing related threads orrestrict them all.

I suspect I will now be banned or be flamed for stating my opinion, as that's the usual way these posts are handled. Thanks for listening.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

The reasonweget on your caseGene, is that you're a self-righteous old man who seems to think he's always right. Just cause you're older, doesn't give your comments any more validity than anyone elses.

The difference between threads like this, and "those other threads" is very simple. When someone posts about wanting a more aggressive suspension, they usually go about it in a way that implies they're getting into AutoX. Or if they want to pull faster 1/4 mile times, to me that implies they're actually going out to the track, and have a solid number that they're ready to try and beat. This thread (and there is 100% no offense intended to the OP), made it sound like he was topping out his car at random, like Fiirkan pointed out. Most tracks, at least around here, don't have straights long enough for a Honda to even consider topping out. Was it a bit presumptuous, yes, but I saw nothing wrong with what Tim said.

Respect for elders isn't automatic. I respect the hell out of guys like Rob (SmokEm), because he doesn't go around demanding respect, or implying that we should be respectful. You on the other hand, post in such a smug fashion that it seriously makes me sick. You think that just because you're old, that makes your opinions "right," and that just isn't the case.

If you don't like it here, LEAVE, it's pretty basic.

This thread goes back on track NOW, or it gets locked. Appologies to the OP for the mess that was made in his thread.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

The reasonweget on your caseGene, is that you're a self-righteous old man who seems to think he's always right. Just cause you're older, doesn't give your comments any more validity than anyone elses.

The difference between threads like this, and "those other threads" is very simple. When someone posts about wanting a more aggressive suspension, they usually go about it in a way that implies they're getting into AutoX. Or if they want to pull faster 1/4 mile times, to me that implies they're actually going out to the track, and have a solid number that they're ready to try and beat. This thread (and there is 100% no offense intended to the OP), made it sound like he was topping out his car at random, like Fiirkan pointed out. Most tracks, at least around here, don't have straights long enough for a Honda to even consider topping out. Was it a bit presumptuous, yes, but I saw nothing wrong with what Tim said.

Respect for elders isn't automatic. I respect the hell out of guys like Rob (SmokEm), because he doesn't go around demanding respect, or implying that we should be respectful. You on the other hand, post in such a smug fashion that it seriously makes me sick. You think that just because you're old, that makes your opinions "right," and that just isn't the case.

If you don't like it here, LEAVE, it's pretty basic.

This thread goes back on track NOW, or it gets locked. Appologies to the OP for the mess that was made in his thread.
Let the flaming begin.......

Instead of attacking the messenger, how about attacking the message? I don't recall saying anything in my post about 1/4 mile times. You administratorshave hijacked this OP'sthread and are trying to defend your actions by attacking me. I don't recall "demanding respect" or making any age related comments like you just did. That is very disrespectful and uncalled for.

You are correct in apologizing to the OP for the mess that was made in his thread, however.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Whatever you gotta tell yourself man. If you aren't intending to come off as a smug, self righteous know-it-all, then I highly suggest you start re-re-reading your posts before clicking the submit button.

Instead of pointing fingers at us administrators as if you don't have it coming, maybe its time to do some self analyzation and figure out how you can avoid it in the first place.

Quick Reply: Top out at 120mph