Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Torque converter or tranny problem???? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Default Torque converter or tranny problem???? HELP!!!

98 Honda Civic EX, Problem...Morning on the way to work service engine soon light came on didn't think much about it it has did it before and went off thought it was bad gas or something, Started my car to leave work, put it in gear drove fine for about 30 seconds and it quit pulling, thought the transmission went out. got it pulled home, decided to mess with it a little, put it in gear and it drove for about 30 sec and then quit pulling. changed the fluid which was in pretty bad shape. after fluid change it does the same thing. Don't really notice any odd noises. Seems odd to me for it to pull and then just stop, haven't done much as far as transmission work except for changing a couple completely out. Any suggestion on what it could be bad torque converter, a sensor, or the transmission, any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Justin

Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You're saying the engine revs up but the car won't go?

If the engine doesn't rev up of course it's a problem with the engine.

If the engine revs up but car doesn't go, watch if the speedometer goes up. If it does, the transmission output is turning but not getting to the wheels. This is typically because one of the CV axles is not fully pushed into the transmission to engage with the differential gear.

If the speedometer stays at 0, transmission is not engaging, you could check the shifter cable adjustment make sure it is going fully to drive and not neutral. Other than that it's a problem inside the transmission. I don't know much about them either other than to check the fluid or change the whole thing out. I'm not sure if the '98 is mechanically controlled for the first 3 gears like older ones, or it needs the computer to activate a solenoid on it before it will go anywhere. There is a fluid filter inside but you have to take the transmission out of the car and crack it open to check or replace the filter.

Last edited by mk378; 11-11-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM

The engine revs fine, and the transmission goes in gear fine, and drives fine for about 30 seconds all gears seam to be there, but then it quits pulling, it tapers off gradually then no pull at all, can wait about thirty minutes and get back in the car and it will do the same thing. engine never even get warmed up. i dont know if a transmission heats up faster than the engine and it stops pulling from overheating maybe, or maybe the filter lets a little fluid through at first and then completely clogs up and doesn't allow fluid to flow and maybe gives the effect of really low fluid level. or maybe the torque converter warms up and then slips completely and sends no power to the transmission from the motor. Or maybe a sensor has gone out.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM
HCF Member

I feel like my tranny pulls sometimes. The fluid seems dark and I did a tranny drain and fill 5k ago. Sometimes when I'm driving the RPM tac drops 300-500 and immediately bounces back up. It feels like... the tranny catches itself? I dont know why this is or if it even is a tranny problem. It doesnt happen all the time... maybe once every twenty min of driving?

Old 11-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Had the the car scanned and co P0700 transmission malfunction (see other codes)/ and P740 TCC malfunction, any thoughts. I went on a trip before mine went out and it seemed to downshift often and then shift back up kinda like what your saying, not sure if its the same,