Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny?Clutch?Clutch Cable? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Default Tranny?Clutch?Clutch Cable? Help please

Well, I just got my ride back from the shop (1993 sol 1.6si) got both CVs replaced cuz they exploded. Like 5km away from the shop Im headed down a hill in 3rd - shift to 4th (everything is smooth and good). All of a sudden i feel like I dont have any power; just revs.

So I try to shift to a different gear.... same deal -- revs with nothing at the wheels.
I come to a stop.... I can shift thru the gears without the clutch depressed(which I cannot normally do). The odometer will run up if i shift into say 4th gear the step on the gass (even tho im not moving).
Clutch feels fine. I dont hear any noises. Still goes into gears... just no power to the wheels.

It was night -- but I dont think the CV fell apart again... doubt thats the prob.

I was hearing a noise as I left the garage -- sounded like plastic off my fender rubbing on the road or something...Not very loud (i slid into a curb a few weeks ago and noticed a small piece hanging down a little when i checked the axel). I kinda thought it might have just been noise from the snowy roads. When I stopped this was not the problem.
The noise went away after my power to the wheels gave out. **I THINK... I KNOW i did not hear the noise while i was coasting to a stop.

Its -29C here... so it crazy cold.

THanks for the help

Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tranny?Clutch?Clutch Cable? Help please

Any possibility that the shop didn't properly seat the shafts into the tranny? I'd be on the horn to them telling them to get their asses over and pick up the car and get it fixed right.