Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Default Tranny Oil Change

well im sorry for the new Q, i have the EJ2 (94 dx)
and im lookin to change the tranny oil tonight, i had a quick look under this morn, (i have seen the DIY but it seems to be a different tranny) i think ive know which bolt it is to empty the tranny, i think its the round one with the square socket type hole in the middle(correct me if i am wrong) but the filler hole i couldnt really see that one was, all the bolts seem liked they could be bolts to bolt the tranny to the engine, so before i started undoing siezed bolts just to screw them back in again and try a different one.... i wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction

thanks in advance...

Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Tranny Oil Change

This is a manual, right? In that case, the filler hole is on the right side of the transmission, toward the back, slightly behind where the CV axle comes in. It's a bolt with a hex head, I think 17 mm.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 AM

the filler bolt i believe is the largest one, same side as the drain bolt is on, and just a bit higher and to the side of the drain bolt. i believe its a 17mm bolt.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

its on the same side of the drain bolt, just look i little above and back of the drain bolt, u cant miss it its a big bolt....

Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 AM

thanks very much for the replies
well i went to go buy some oil for my car on sat, but didnt end up buying it, as i dont know have any of the books for the car i dont know what oil it needs, so i thought i would just get the guy in the shop to look in his book, the guy on sat pointed me towards some automatic transmission oil, i thought this was strange but ok, possible, then i went this morning before work was checking out the different types, looking for the syncromesh oil cant rmemeber the exact name, but i didnt find it and picked up the auto oil the guy pointed out on saturday, took it to the counter and asked the guy if it was the right oil (was quite funny as i have only been here in the Netherlands for 7months ish, and my dutch isnt great) but the guy said nooooo, no, and showed me some engine oil, for my gearbox.
So after the long story have i got the right oil
1994 EJ2 (1500 DX)

Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 AM
HCF Member

honda oil always works, lol, that would have took the guess work out of the problem.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 AM

haha ok, well looking forward to getting home and changing my oil, and i hope that crunching from 2nd to 3rd dissapears

Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The owner's manual specifies 10W40 engine oil, but others have mentioned the Honda dealers have a special product just for their manual transmissions.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 AM

yeh i believe 10W40 is what i was given, they didnt stock honda products and the closest place that does is in germany, and my car is not in a fit state to be going to germany at the moment, would be an excuse to drive the autobahns though

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

regular 10w40 will be just fine. you cab get the syncromesh at a gm dealership or repair shop

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil Change