Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission or Clutch problems!@

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
HCF Member
Default Transmission or Clutch problems!@

This car is driving me nuts. I got axle and half shaft fixed and took off for a test drive. The car ran great for about 3 miles. THen i came to a light and i shifted to 1st to take off. It felt like i was in 3rd taking off. I had to rev the car up just to get it to go. After i got it back, i lifted the car up and didnt see any problems. Tranny had plenty of fluid. Both axles in fine. When i spin the wheels while in gear, i hear some metal clanking behind the flywheel. If i spin the wheel hard the flywheel will move a bit also. This just happened out of nowhere. The clutch hasnt been slipping or anything. It just honestly feels like im in 3rd gear taking off. After i got it going, it didnt slip or anything, just felt like i was taking off in 3rd gear. Could this be a clutch or tranny problem? Its a 5 speed integra ls transmission.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be oil on the clutch disk. That tends to make the clutch "grabby" and hard to make a smooth takeoff. Or the springs on the clutch disk broke, similar thing with maybe some metallic noise too.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

thanks for your response. im wondering if the clutch springs broke now. the car has a 6 puck clutch kit. before it was very hard and like an on off switch when it grabbed. Now it doesnt feel as hard and if i dont rev the car up and pop the clutch it will die. i want to go back to a stock clutch. 6 pucks suck for daily driving

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

Ok i dont know if its the clutch. In reverse the car takes off fine and has plenty of power. I could probably drop the clutch and spin the tires in reverse. In 1st gear though, it feels like im riding the clutch or its taking off in 3rd gear. I have to rev it up high and pop the clutch and it just slowly gets going as long as i have the revs high. After you get going its like i have 1 very long gear.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM

I don't know how or if it could happen, but maybe you really are taking off in 3rd gear... I would inspect the linkage to make sure that shifting into 1st gear on the shifter is really shifting into 1st on the transmission.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM

+1, I would check the shift linkages to make sure ur really getting into first. I doubt it's a clutch problem if you don't have issues with any other gears. If the linkages are fine, it's probably an internal issue.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 AM
HCF Member

I will check to make sure the linkage is fine. Its strange how it happened all of a sudden. I know when i had the car up on the lift, i noticed my shifter was loose. I could also feel it while driving, you can move the shifter around while in gear very easily. Could it possibly be a glazed pressure plate causing this? Is the linkage right underneath the shifter? Is it just a bushing underneath the shifter going to the shift rod?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM

I highly doubt it's anything with the clutch assembly. If the pressure plate were screwed up, you'd probably have issues in shifting through all gears and not just setting it into first.

This was my clutch/pressure plate plate off my neon when I got it. Clutch was missing some of the friction surface, flywheel had bad heat spots and pressure plate was on the verge of breaking. But believe it or not, before I removed them it drove just fine. I replaced them because I got a new set for free...

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  36.1 KB
Name:  26.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  42.5 KB

The linkage is right under the shifter. When ur under the car, it'll be above the exhaust pipe in the middle of the car. It'll look like the picture below. Tighten the 2 bolts where the rubber bushings is(red in my picture) and make sure the bolt that goes through the shifter is snug. Don't over tighten it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

Ok well i notice that even sticking it in 2nd and taking off its not any better. Im hoping its nothing but the bushings but for some reason im scared it could be the transmission. Do transmissions go bad on these. Its a 94 integra ls transmission. Its just strange how it happened out of nowhere.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

Ok i lifted the vehicle and checked the linkage and it was fine. All bolts were tight. Bushing looked good to. This time took it off the lift and parked it on a hill. Slowly let out 1st gear to see if the clutch would hold the car. The car kept rolling back unless i would rev the car up. With the clutch slipped it wouldnt hold the car so im assuming my clutch or pressure plate is bad. Im going to order something new since the car has a 6 puck clutch now. Dont like it for daily driving. Ive found some stage 1 kits on ebay supposed to be the feel of factory but grab of race. What do you guys think. The kit is only 120. Also should i put a lightweight flywheel? Will i notice much of a difference and would my wife still be able to drive it if she had to with a lightweight flywheel? Or does it still feel stock? Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission or Clutch problems!@