Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission, Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Default Transmission, Problems and Solutions

Hello All!

I am new to the forum and it is my hope that by posting here that my own problems as well as others may be alleviated by the information coming from this post.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX, automatic transmission with ~170,000 miles. I had left for a vacation and lent my car to my sister while I was gone. When I came back, I was told that my car would no longer accelerate while in gear.

The symptoms that I experience right now are: When in park or in neutral there is an occasional grinding sound, somewhat resembling the high pitch reverse sound, but a bit more rough. This is a new symptom. The next is, while the car is off for a long time, usually a day at a time, I will turn on the car and move my shift selector into gear. Then I can accelerate as usual until I get about 100 yards before I start to lose more and more power until the car just revs with no power whatsoever. If I turn off the car and wait a while and let things set, I can start the car and advance in the same way as before. Sometimes when I start the car, it just revs and still won't go into gear.

My family while I was gone tried to add more transmission fluid, thinking this would help solve the problem, so it was wayyy over filled when I got back, I doubt this caused any problems as problems had existed beforehand.

My brother and my grandfather drained the fluid to the appropriate level to the exact specified levels as defined in the users manual. Still the same problem.

With the sound described above, it could be almost certain that there is something mechanically wrong with the transmission.

The next logical thought in step would be to have this transmission repaired by a technician. I know mechanics like to screw the hell out of people, and I am a very frugal young college student, and I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, and have minimum wage income to spend on this this summer.

So as it stands, my options are to have the transmission rebuilt, or to just to do an automatic-manual transmission conversion, on my own. If it comes to that any advice will be appreciated as well.

I wouldn't mind going to a manual transmission because the car would not only be operable again, but it would be fun to drive.

I know transmissions are extremely complicated, so my logic was to replace the entire unit instead of working on the individual mechanics, buy the needed components of a flywheel and the other stuffs.

I am open to all well suggested ideas, and this could be a problem in which a fun and productive solution can be accomplished.

I know I can handle the repair if necessary, I have the near patience of Jesus, and the intellect to read the information I already obtained. I have the handiwork to handle anything detailed as necessary. Any parts I buy, and any experience I obtain will be used to help others as well as future repairs for myself.

Thank you all!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Anyone?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The cheapest and easiest solution would be to replace the current auto tranny with another one. Most people want to do the auto to manual tranny swap, so you may be able to buy a used auto tranny at a very good price.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Is there anyone here that has done this? Are there any special tools that I need to buy?

What kind of parts list am I looking at?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Click site 1 or 2 in my signature and download the 01 Civic manual.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I already have the 1996-2000 manual downloaded. My car is a 2000 Civic EX, I will go ahead and download the 01 as well despite it being a new generation.

Any links to honda civic 1996-2000 automatic to manual transmission conversions?

I'm looking for someone else that has done it themselves, and I need a general layout of the:

1) Tools I need
2) Parts I need
3) Information I need

With all of that, I can take care of this, to follow someone else who has walked this path before.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Captain Lovejoy
I already have the 1996-2000 manual downloaded. My car is a 2000 Civic EX, I will go ahead and download the 01 as well despite it being a new generation.

Any links to honda civic 1996-2000 automatic to manual transmission conversions?

I'm looking for someone else that has done it themselves, and I need a general layout of the:

1) Tools I need
2) Parts I need
3) Information I need

With all of that, I can take care of this, to follow someone else who has walked this path before.

Thanks!
Sorry, the 96-00 manual is the one you want.

The auto to manual swap is very common. A Google search should lead to some excellent DIYs. Check here (HCF) and on Honda-Tech.