Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trouble Starting when empty

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Trouble Starting when empty

Quick question here for you fuel experts. I've noticed that since I've bought my Civic, it has trouble starting when the fuel tank is near empty. Sometimes it takes two tries to get it going. Furthermore, it only does this after sitting for awhile.

The electrical system is fine, battery and alternator are both new...so are the spark plugs.

Here's my hypothesis: could it be that the fuel system is losing pressure because of the gas cap? The wierd thing is, I can hear air escaping ever time I take it off....but that's right after it's been running.

Here's my question: would a new gas cap solve or even lessen this problem?

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan

Old 03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Trouble Starting when empty

I dunno about your gas cap, but here is what i do know. Your fuel pump has no internal lubrication, it is lubricated by the fuel that it is pumping. My recommendation is to not run your car near empty b/c you risk ruining your fuel pump. Also, you will pump all the crap that is on the bottom of you gas tank into the engine. There is the fuel filter, but you might end up clogging that. I've always heard that you shouldn't run the tank low.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

Makes sense to me, but how many fuel pump problems have you heard about on Civics? I'm sure if this is the case, then every car like this would have the same problem. I know I'm not the only one who runs the tank down to two gallons.

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I dunno about your gas cap, but here is what i do know. Your fuel pump has no internal lubrication, it is lubricated by the fuel that it is pumping. My recommendation is to not run your car near empty b/c you risk ruining your fuel pump. Also, you will pump all the crap that is on the bottom of you gas tank into the engine. There is the fuel filter, but you might end up clogging that. I've always heard that you shouldn't run the tank low.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

I haven't heard of any problems with the fuel pumps. I don't think i've read any problems with fuel pumps on the forum, nor do i personally know anyone with a fuel pump problem.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
HCF Member

Any other suggestions? This isn't a major issue, it's just been bugging me ever since I bought the car. I'm wondering if this could be somehow tied into my slight loss of gas mileage...

Old 03-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

As my tank grows lower in fuel, it takes a bit longer and longer to start. But that rarely happens, cause I basically never drop below 1/4 tank

Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

its totally normal for hondas to take longer to crank on a low tank. nothing to worry about. I had a buddy whos CRX had a broken fuel gauge, and he knew when he needed to fill up because of the cranking time.

Also, you will pump all the crap that is on the bottom of you gas tank into the engine.
and thats not much of a worry, theres a prefilter on the intake of the fuel pump that wont let much of anything through it.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

The fuel pump strainer,the filter on the bottom of pump probley has dirt and grime on it from suckin it up.It is easy on my 92 cause it is under back seat.The strainer probley gets cloged and not having that much gas kind of slows or stops the flow for a secound.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

Hmm I never thought of that. How would I go about cleaning this "filter" contraption...or is it even possible?

ORIGINAL: natecivic92

The fuel pump strainer,the filter on the bottom of pump probley has dirt and grime on it from suckin it up.It is easy on my 92 cause it is under back seat.The strainer probley gets cloged and not having that much gas kind of slows or stops the flow for a secound.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:28 AM

Just an adder on this subject. I have two civics and they both do the same thing. When the tank is around 1/4 just turn the switch to on to build pressure while you buckel up then the car will start on the first crank. I'm not sure why but when the tank is low fuel seems to drain back into the tank and you don't have pressure in the line until the pump runs for a short time.

Quick Reply: Trouble Starting when empty