Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the trying to jack me?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Default Are the trying to jack me?!

01 civic-just went to the dealer to get a quote for timing belt/water pump (I'm at 110K)-they told me they also replace the cam and crank seal gaskets-chaaa chingg! I hate going to the dealer (don't trust em!) so are they steering me straight on this one (don't see anything in my maintenance sched. for this one). Thanx! any comments on this would be great
jp

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Are the trying to jack me?!

Do you have an oil leak? I've never heard of changing the crank and cam seal gaskets. Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as a crank seal gasket or a cam seal gasket. Its either a seal or a gasket, not both.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 AM

nope-no oil leak-thing runs like a top-110K and still 37 mpg on the highway!!! (my bad-cam and crank seal)

Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

unless they are leaking tell them to leave it alone but then again the crank seal is apain in the *** to change.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

The timing belt is pricey!!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

how much did they quote for the timing belt swap?
id like to know how much cash i can save by doing it myself.....

Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 PM

NO they arnt trying to jack you. its just preventative maintenece. they really dont charge you that much more to do it. and if your seals do end up going out you have to pay just as much to replace them as it cost to replace the water pump itself. just good prectice to do it now and save yourself the money in the long run. even if they arnt leaking now

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
mxs
HCF Member

they are quoting those parts because they are easy to change while everything else is apart for the timing belt change. that $2 o-ring gets real expensive if it fails in another 8000 miles and you have to tear the car apart JUST to replace that...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM

quote was for $590-timing belt, waterpump, change exterior belts, and cam & crank seal. I had a retired master mechanic down the road who has his own shop now do the t.b. and water pump for 120 ( i supplied the parts) so i was in it about $250-then i called up the honda garage as i was curious how much bank i saved (didn't want to do it myself-just spent a ton of time replacing 4 sensors on my pathfinder while on vacation!). So found out about the belt/seal replacement when i called. I'm sure i can do the belt replacement, but just wondering if i should buck up and have the guy go back in and replace the seals-i'm thinking probably not now, as the t.b. job is already done!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM

now that its done, it would probobly cost you just as much to replace that oil seal and cam seals minus the cost of the waterpump. literally

Quick Reply: Are the trying to jack me?!