Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 AM
HCF Member
Default tuning question

ok, i dont want to sound like a tard, but can somebody explain to me what a good "tune" means? im putting a turbo on my civic soon and everyone is telling me that i can have a reliable boosted ls, "with a good tune." what does that mean?? and where would i have to go?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Default RE: tuning question

Well if your going to run a boosted vehicle, you should have good tunes. I mean I like Linkin Park, Eminem and a whole slue of others, you don't want to go around playing Barney and Teletubby tunes!!! lmao, Alright, tuning, I would surely change the spark plugs to really high end spark plugs that can ignite the highly compressed Air/Fuel mixture. I would say some Forged Pistons will help keep your engine running in high boosted applications, and ported heads, especially big valve ported heads, are just as important on turbo charged engines. The more turbulent air you create in the head, the higher temperatures you create (reason for an intercooler) and if you port the head, you get smooth flow, decreasing friction and making for a better setup. Other than that, Ill try to think of some more off head.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

plugs, dist cap and rotor

Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

ok, so hondata, and all that other "tuning" stuff that i see are just for what??
because i know what a good "tune up" is, and i thought it had to be taken to a special shop to be dynoed and then the mechanc would tune it in to better numbers...

Old 02-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Hondata modifies standard Honda engine computers (ECU's), adding features and expanding the capabilities of the ECU (e.g. for forced induction). Pretty much changes your parameters for fuel/air ratio and other combinations. Different for every vehicle.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

A "tune" is the editing of yourair, fueland timing maps. When you force feed 8 extra pounds intoa motor, you're obviously getting WAY more air than fuel. The tuner will alter this via the ECU so that you have good, safeA/F ratios, with solid timing to boot

Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

if you decide to add more boost then you have to tune again right?
and how much is a good tune?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: bigmikew1

if you decide to add more boost then you have to tune again right?
and how much is a good tune?
Yes. And cost is going to vary by setup, engine management, whether or not you have your own wideband and datalogging capabilites, etc etc etc..

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MarcB

Alright, tuning, I would surely change the spark plugs to really high end spark plugs that can ignite the highly compressed Air/Fuel mixture. I would say some Forged Pistons will help keep your engine running in high boosted applications, and ported heads, especially big valve ported heads, are just as important on turbo charged engines. The more turbulent air you create in the head, the higher temperatures you create (reason for an intercooler) and if you port the head, you get smooth flow, decreasing friction and making for a better setup. Other than that, Ill try to think of some more off head.

in case anyone is wondering, this is not the real answer

Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/Turbo.htm

Tell that to them!!!

Quick Reply: tuning question