Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Turning light blinking rapidly

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Default Turning light blinking rapidly

Hello…. I drive a 98 4-door Civic LX…. And just yesterday my front passenger side turning light began to blink at a rapid rate…. but only when I’m signaling to turn right. Strangely, every other light works fine. Also when I put on my hazard all four light blink at the same rate…but the right one at the front blinks out-of-sync. Does any one know what the problem could be, and can I fix it myself…Thanks a million

Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Default RE: Turning light blinking rapidly

Usually a fast blink indicates a burnt bulb (one bulb will be out, the other on the same side of the car will blink faster). This occurs because the resistance in the blinker circuit changes when a bulb goes dead. It can also occur when you install LED blinkers, etc (LEDs have less resistance than normal incandescent bulbs).

If NONE of your bulbs are burnt out (check to make sure that both the running lights -and- the blinking functions are working; the bulbs in your car actually have two filaments in them) then you might be having a problem with the blinker relay or the wiring/ground in the blinker circuit, etc.

You might also have a bulb that is going bad (but hasn't quite gotten there yet) or a corroded bulb socket. I'd start by replacing the turn signal bulb(s) on the side that is suffering from the fast blink; while you have the bulb out check for corrosion in the housing. I'm pretty sure the bulb type for your car is an '1157', which can be found pretty much anywhere.

Good Luck!
-Trevor

Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Trevor....i'll start by checking the bulb....hopefully it will work...
i'll let you know what happens...
thanks again...Jim

Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 AM

Hey dude.....it worked...just needed to change the bulb....thanks bud....J

Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 PM

Glad to hear it was an easy one for ya!

-Trevor

Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 PM

say its not a bulb... where is the turn signal flasher relay located? i assumed under dash or engine bay fuse boxes, but no relays are clearly marked for turnsignal/hazards... any one got a picture?