Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Undercarriage Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Undercarriage Rattling

I have a 97 and when the car sits in idle while in drive the rattling sound slowly increases. When accelerating I can hear the noise get louder the harder or faster I accelerate. The moment I left off the accelerator the noise stops. I took it to a tranny shop and they said it sounded like an exhaust shield. One morning when it was particularly loud I popped the hood and notice a very small amount of smoke (white) last for about 3 seconds that came out from near the heat shield. It's driving me insane and quite frankly I feel ****ty allowing it to sound like that. No shop will take me seriously and says the sound is no big deal or not to worry til it gets worse. None have actually driven or sat in the car long enough to notice how loud it really gets. Please help!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like something you can fix yourself because something is loose. Check the heat shield & any other items in that area for movements by trying to move it with your hand(when the engine is cool). Everything in that area should be good, tight & held down.

I'm thinking no shop will take it serious because they're like.."Pfft! It's just some cover or panel loose, I don't have time to roll this guy's car in the shop bay & put it on the lift..he'll figure it out."
But even if some do take you serious they might say it's this, that & the 3rd and charge you for it all when it's just a bolt loose(taking advantage)...be aware my friend.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 AM
HCF Member
Default Re.

I had it up on a lift a few days ago and shook everything that I could.. nothing seemed to move too much.. could it be that slight? What would explain the puff of small smoke coming out of the heat shield? Is that normal? Thanks