Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Unusual oil consumption? Honda 95 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Default Unusual oil consumption? Honda 95 Civic DX

I wanted great gas mileage so I buy a used Honda Civic with 90k, I figure if I'm getting 200k out of it at least then its really not that high of mileage--The Honda has a LOT more resale than I'm used to, so since I was spending more than I wanted/had, I also had the car professionally inspected in addition to my inspection (I buy a lot of used cars and do a good job, but I'm CERTAINLY not anywhere close to your guys' level of skill)

The first day I have it I get the oil changed and coolant flushed. In my two personal inspections and the professional inspection had no real problems come up, I could hear a sticky lifter and that was the only flaw. The next day in the daylight I'm smoking like mad. I do every tune-up thing I know how to do (wires, cap, rotor, plugs, PCV, air filter)... and I'm still consuming oil like none other. I realize this is probably a situation where rebuilding will be required at some point to fix the oil issue and my mileage is fluctating and not what I hoped it would be... I've always heard, and believed that Honda's have great reliability.

But are all these cool little cars consuming tons of oil?

Or was mine abused in its previous life or just a lemon?

1st 1000 miles I took down 3 quarts of oil. Then last night I made a highway trip, took down 2 quarts in 250 miles. I've read your guys' posts about switching to heavier oils, which I'm doing a little, but I live in a cold climate, so I can't go too heavy until warmer weather comes, right?

***** [:-] EDIT: I'm only blowing smoke when I'm really on the gas, there isn't smoke on start up, or during idle, or during low rev driving. *********

A lot of the money I'm saving in gas is going for oil I assume this isn't typical for a Honda with this mileage? When did you guys, if you have, start consuming oil?

Also could some people post their mileage and oil consumption?

And is there anything else that could be causing this to consume so much oil outside of things that are going to cost a fortune to fix?

Also, the cure for the sticky lifter is running something thin through there and flushing the engine, I assume that's only going to make my consumption worse right?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Unusual oil consumption? Honda 95 Civic DX

mine doesnt consume verry much at all im running a 01 ex. but maybe switching to synthetics would help.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks very much for your reply.

What's your mileage if I may ask?

I'll definitely consider switching to anything if people think it'll help, I'm just concerned that at this level of consumption, I'm screwed, and there is little that can help, unless there is something I need to look at that I haven't yet.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

Two quarts in 250 miles is a lot of oil. Is your car burning oil or is it leaking? If its burning oil, do a wet and dry compression test. If its burning that much oil, your rings could be burnt to hell.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 PM

im not sure. right now my car is around 58k (i think) but in that general area. but my older 88 hatchback RIP burned and leaked so im not sure as far as consumption.

but (correct me if im wrong) synthetics last longer cause they dont break down as fast as regular oil. im not sure about your lifters. i think mine maybe sticky as whell. but im running synthetics and that **** lasts forever. (forever beeing 6K, 4K for the way i drive)

Old 02-11-2006, 12:42 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply

There aren't any puddles anywhere I park. So I'm assuming I'm burning. I can see smoke at high revs, but no smoke at other times. I'm guessing (I don't have a tach) that at highway speeds I'm a little smoke all the time, the exhaust just broke near the muffler, so I'm not getting all the exhaust out the tailpipe, but I am getting a lot of soot all over the back of the car

I understand what a compression test is, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about doing one.

Thanks again

Old 02-11-2006, 12:44 PM

It can't hurt to try them, I'm screwed at this rate. What kinda mileage did you have on your '88? Do you think consumption is common with mileage this low? How did someone burn out my rings so early?

Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 PM

i bought it as a prodject car so i dont run it. im thinking about building it but dont have the funds for it. so i couldnt tell you. but i thought about it some more.... im going to say the compression test. im sure you can get that done at most service centers. where your burning that much oil (wich is a lot) i dont think synthetics will totally cure this.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:53 PM

This definitely isn't typical of a Honda with 90k though right? I thought these little guys went forever.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM

they usually do. until you beat the living oil out of them

Quick Reply: Unusual oil consumption? Honda 95 Civic DX