Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

V-TEC or no V-TEC?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Default V-TEC or no V-TEC?? HELP!

Had a '95 Honda Accord Ex...that died due to a 60mph impact from a hit and run, uninsured driver...point being I'm getting about 5K from my insurance and going to add another 5K and get a used 2001-2003 Civic...loved alot about the Accord but due like a smaller car and looking for better gas mileage...hence the Civic....
MY QUESTION: Should I get an Ex w/ the V-Tec motor?.....is there any difference in gas mileage? Dont need a moonroof....just not sure to Ex or not.....Is the ABS really worth it?.......sorry, guess that falls into more than one question.....Dont have a lot of $$ usually so really needing to get the most bang for my buck on this purchase and would greatly appreciate feedback from someone more wise in these areas...If you had 9-10K and wanted a newer/used Civic and was concerned w/ gas mileage....what would you get??..........Thanks in advance..............Kenny

Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: V-TEC or no V-TEC?? HELP!

Not really sure if there's really a noticeable difference in gas mileage among the civics made in 01-03... But I would I would say just go get one with VTEC.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

I've got an '01 EX, and while the VTEC isn't a huge thing, it's nice too have. My friends sister has the LX with no vtec, and in anything below 4500, it's the same car basically. Gas mileage should be identical below 4500 RPM (That's where the VTEC kicks in on the D17a2)

Having said that though, the ABS is definitely worth every penny. Either your wheels lock up and you slide sans ABS, or they are controlled so that they won't completely stop. I live in an area w/ snow, so it's really important here...I guess it can also depend on your climate. I won't even let my girlfriend (Elantra w/ no ABS) drive if there's any snow on the roads, because it's just not safe...her car slides EVERYWHERE. I don't know if all EX's have them, but the side airbags on mine are a nice insurance policy as well.

Personally, I'd go for the EX...You've got the ABS, Side airbags (I think...like I said, mine does), 15in wheels (14's on the LX), and a VTEC head. Don't expect too much power out of one w/o a turbo though...it's still a D17 : ).

Let me know if you have any questions on the EX specifially beyond that...All it takes is a short trip to my garage!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
HCF Member

if it was me i would buy a 96-00 civic just because everyone says the engine in the 01-05 is no good for power, or u could buy a 99 or00 si if a 2dr would fit ur needs, i guess if u are looking to keep the car bone stock an 01-05 would be ok, just my opinion on it, my 97 lxgets 36mpg in town and 40mpg highway

Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the inputs.....much appreciated....Im all about the gas mileage as apposed to power...........

Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 AM

My 97 EX averages 37mpg when my wife drives it. I drive with a lead foot & average 33mpg. I didn't know the difference in the models when I bought mine a couple of years ago. When I bought it I couldn't care less about the moon/sunroof but now that I have it I use it all the time.

The vtec is great for passing other cars. The extra oomph is worth it for me.

I know the ABS is supposed to be safer but I don't like it.

If you are going for mileage only I think the LX would be a little better.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

+1 for the 6th gen (96-00). O f course if it were me, I would spend ~3k on a 5th gen and spend the rest on a a buttload of mods.

VTAK FTW!!~!~!1`1`11!~!~!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

If you are all about the MPG, get the LX. Its going to be cheaper and its less powerful so you are going to use less gas.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Awesome....thanks for all the replies........

PS-Uninsured motorist and insurance companies suck.......lol............

Sorry....needed to say that out loud...or at least see it in print.........

Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM

So, if the 6 th. gen. is (96-00)....I guess the 7 th. gen. would be 01-03? Would that be right? Kinda new to some of this.....so, thanks for dummying down for a newbie...lol..
If you had idenctical models say an LX from '00 and an LX from '02.....would the '00 get better (mostly concerned w/ city) mileage? Dont have a leed foot,just on a tight budget (fuel economy).....I believe some of the reports I've checked out concerning gas mileage rate the '02 as slightly better than the '00...........I think the '02 was 30/38 and the '00 was 28/35........
Thanks again for all the help....just trying to make the best decision......

Quick Reply: V-TEC or no V-TEC?? HELP!