Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve adjustment now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Valve adjustment now wont start

what he said....

Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 PM

ive been looking threw these posts and the diagrams you supply r pretty good too, where do you get them from? one of those mechanics websites that you gotta pay for?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bigmreds64
ive been looking threw these posts and the diagrams you supply r pretty good too, where do you get them from? one of those mechanics websites that you gotta pay for?
Go here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

To answer your question: yes if the valve adjusters are turned down too far, it will not start. This is because the valves never close fully thus compression cannot build up.

Loosen them up so there is some gap in all of them when the valve should be closed (the cam is not pressing the rocker arm down). Once you get it started, do not drive far without doing a proper adjustment.

Alos if you crank the engine whild the timing belt on wrong and the cam is out of time, the valves will crash (all of them). Then you have 4 dead cylinders and it will never run again without major repairs.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

don't waste your time checking anything else till you properly adjust the valves and no offense but sounds like that you do not have a clue on how to adjust them,, you don't just turn the nut down ,, cylinder that you are adjusting needs to be on top dead, then you need a feeler gauge to do a proper adjustment ..

if valves are too tight,( nut adjusted to far in ) valves will stay open , thus no compression thus no start,, also if valves are too far open could get bent when piston comes up ..So...
if you do not know how to adjust valves properly have a shop do it ..

Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Valve adjustment has to be done when the motor is ICE COLD too (i.e. hasn't run in 12 hours or so). Otherwise the expansion from the heat will mess things up.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: b8teen

Dont want to sound rude, but it sounds like you went and did a amature valve adjustment and screwed em up. valve adjustments are somewhat technical and should only be done by a expierenced mechanic. Ive done several engine swaps, had my hb state certified, do all my own work, and I would never do a valve adjustment. If im correct, the job requires precise measuring tools and a measuring reference for the car. If I were you, I would take it in to a shop, or have someone that knows what there doing and fix for you. good luck man, sounds like ur gonna have some problems.
Experienced mechanic my foot. It's an easy job with a set of $15 feeler gauges and a Haynes manual. Although the way OP did this is definitly the wrong way. Adjust the valves properly and after that check your firing order as that is the most commonly messed up item. Be sure you have the right firing order for your car since it is different from generation to generation.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you sure your timing is right, the car would still run 1 tooth off. might be hearing a valve tapping a piston. usualy if you adjust a valve clearence and it doesnt get louder or quieter, keep in mind hondas do tick because of the rocker system it might be hitting a piston

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM

yes the car ran before i did it i stressed that earlier but even with the compression not being right due to the valves being open wouldnt i still get spark? and i didnt adjust them far enough to bend any valves

Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM

oh i forgot to mention i checked the distributor and i saw on the cap the lil taps sticking out looked while like its carroded but in another way it looks like its suppost to be like that so i did not clean them since i dont need to mess that car up more. but i will do the valves before i continue farther with the distributor to see if it does the trick

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment now wont start