Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve adjustment now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Valve adjustment now wont start

ORIGINAL: bigmreds64

oh i forgot to mention i checked the distributor and i saw on the cap the lil taps sticking out looked while like its carroded but in another way it looks like its suppost to be like that so i did not clean them since i dont need to mess that car up more. but i will do the valves before i continue farther with the distributor to see if it does the trick
When you finish setting the valve clearance, post pictures of the possible corrosion in the distributor for more feedback.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's a little difficult for me to tell whether it's corrosion. Using the tip of small flathead screwdriver, are you able to scrape off the apparently white corroded material from the metal tabs in the cap?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 PM

yes thats what makes me think its corrosion but it still looks like its suppost to be like that so it confused me since from what i can remember those little tabs are suppost to be straight up metal and in the picture you can see all the white dust that came off when i scratched it

Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

yeah it definately won't hurt to get rid of all the white dust on the terminals.. put 'er back together and you'll be fine as far as that goes.. i'd have a buddy who knows what he's doing look at your valves.. incase there is still a chance to save your cyl. head

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM

so you guys are saying i most likely messed up my head? theres no chance i didnt even tho i didnt turn those valves that much for them to hit? since ronj doesnt seem to think that otherwise im sure he wouldnt be helping me with this other stuff just tell me to change the head? im so confused i have to many people giving me advice at the same time

Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

so you guys are saying i most likely messed up my head? theres no chance i didnt even tho i didnt turn those valves that much for them to hit? since ronj doesnt seem to think that otherwise im sure he wouldnt be helping me with this other stuff just tell me to change the head? im so confused i have to many people giving me advice at the same time
I apologize for adding to your confusion. As I have watched the thread develop, I too believe that your primary concern at this point should be to get your valves properly adjusted. When this is done, you will likely quickly solve your spark problem. Only then will you know with certainty whether the engine sustained any valve/piston damage.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 PM

well while i was waiting for your response about the corrosion i went and adjusted the valves again to double check so im 75% sure their set right i adjusted it to the measurement it recommended with alittle bit of drag so either way their close. and i checked the springs and stuff they all look find goes up and down properly and its making the right sound it would make with no spark....but im going to change the distriburtor and roter tomorrow because the distriburtor cap is cracked anywho

Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well while i was waiting for your response about the corrosion i went and adjusted the valves again to double check so im 75% sure their set right i adjusted it to the measurement it recommended with alittle bit of drag so either way their close. and i checked the springs and stuff they all look find goes up and down properly and its making the right sound it would make with no spark....but im going to change the distriburtor and roter tomorrow because the distriburtor cap is cracked anywho
Good idea about changing the cap and rotor. If that doesn't solve your spark problem, then post your new information to obtain additional feedback. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 PM

so ronj what do you think the odds are that i bent a valve or something? because i dunno i dont think i did but idk

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment now wont start