Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
HCF Member
Default Valve Adjustment Problems

I hate asking for help with this becuase I am a ASE certified Auto Technician. But today I asjusted my valves on my 95 civic sedan LX. It has a D series 1.5 Litre 16 Valve Non-Vtec motor in it. I adjusted them to what was told to me by a pretty good source the specefied clearence. Which is suppost to be .007-.009" on Intake Valves and .009-.011 on Exhasut. I adjusted them to that, not thinking that it was odd how much I had to back them off to get them to the specs. Started my car a a dangerously loud valve noise was present. So, I have no idea what happened or at least the only thing I can think of is the specs I got are for a different motor since there are 4 different options for my car. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Or, if you happen to come across different specs, let me know that too. I would really appreciate it.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Valve Adjustment Problems

what does a valve noise sound like?

is it a sound that exists right after starting up car and goes away as car warms up or not?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

no its not that. Its a ticking sound. All hondas do it. But theres a point in some hondas that it just ticks very badly and ends up breaking valve seals etc. Mostly on high mileage motors, it starts to get bad and its time for a valve adjustment.

But yeah it doesn't just go away. Its always there...the ticking that is.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:58 AM

the specs you got is right , i did my valvesa couple of months ago coz it was ticking badly, after i adjusted the valve clearance 90% of the ticking went away.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i usualy tap the rocker a few times by hand after i adjusted it and see how much noise it makes.It shouldnt be to loud. or to quiet

Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

the fact that you stated you had to back off the adjusters alot sounds like the valves were not closed all the way when you adjusted them , i would recheck them agian , this time make sure all the valves on the cylinder that you adjusting are closed & that the piston is all the way up (pull out plug & stick a long screwdriver down spark plug hole & crank the motor around by hand untill it comes up all the way) & make sure the cam is on a low spot - then you should be ok

Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys, Actually I did put a slim screwdriver in the spark plug holeto make sure they where on TDC. I usually do that when I do not have the timing cover off to go off the cam gear. And I checked the specs again, in fact that is the spec for all 4 different motor options for that year. The only thing I can think of is something is worn and they where adjusted tight before for this reason, I did something wrong or there is a different cam in it. I highly doubt it though. There wasnt allot of internal motor mods done to the car before I got it. I am going tomess with it later today and will let you all know what happens.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you dont have to stick a screw driver in the spark plug hole. just make sure the cam lobe isnt touching the rocker arms and pushing the valves down on which ever valves you are adjusting

Old 04-10-2007, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

Well, I do not know what happened. But I went to check the clearence, starting with Cylinder 1 on TDC, and the clearence was way off, as in too much. This time, I took off the Distributor Cap and made sure that I was on TDC of the compression/power stroke. Re-adjusted them and now it is good. Allthough, I went and checked my compression while I was at it after, and from Cylinder 1 to 4 it read 100psi 125psi 125psi 80psi. So I might be shopping for a new motor. lol. But for now it is running good with no more valve tap so thanks everyone for the help.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

I hate to ask this, but you were checking them at the correct point, right?

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment Problems