Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Very Very rough Idle HELP ASAP!!! PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Default Very Very rough Idle HELP ASAP!!! PLEASE!

I have a 2000 civic ex D16y8 turbo. It has the edelbrock turbo kit on it. I have posted a video on youtube. here is the html.

200 honda civic ex turbo idle issue need help asap!!! - YouTube

please check it out and listen and see what your thoughts are. Id really mean a lot. i miss driving my boosted civic. way to much fun not to drive it. but anyways on to the issue.*car*starts just fine but has a rough idle as shown in video pulsating sound. I just installed a new dizzy no luck. then the car will eventually want to start to go down on rpms and eventually wants to die. if i give it some gas it will run but even then almosts stumbles on itself and wants to die but then if i give it enough gas or keep revving it and then hold the rpms up it wont want to die on itself. Also if you need more details I will do my best to give you what i know.

thanks,
tim

Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Did you get a CEL code? If not, there are lots of usual suspects. If this started soon after a fill-up, the try some sea foam, or gas dryer (might be worth a try anyway, just in case). If the gas is ok, then there's plugs, wires, IAC, TBS, fuel filter, pump, and also engine problems - gasket, valves, ... Have you checked most of this stuff already?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvguy
Did you get a CEL code? If not, there are lots of usual suspects. If this started soon after a fill-up, the try some sea foam, or gas dryer (might be worth a try anyway, just in case). If the gas is ok, then there's plugs, wires, IAC, TBS, fuel filter, pump, and also engine problems - gasket, valves, ... Have you checked most of this stuff already?
Do not forget all the wiring! Grounds and power cables.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM

I have checked all wiring i believe, I have check grounds and power cables. Check engine light code i have not. I am waiting to get my honda bible back from a friend. official honda book from factory. it progressively got worse so i do not believe it was the fuel. (Maybe fuel filter) plus i only put premium in. checked wires for plugs. got new socket to check plugs this weekend. fitv is going to be cleaned out this weekend. im sure the code will tell me exactly what is wrong im hoping. thanks for thoughts.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

How about a compression test to hopefully rule out the unhappy, more serious possibilities?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you check the timing? It must be set after distributor replacement. Check for timing belt skipped, that will cause a sudden change (worse) in performance. Have you tried to drive it? The IACV & FITV only affect idling, it would still go OK once rolling in gear.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 AM

No compression test yet. ill be back to where the car is stored for winter this weekend. so im just trying to get all ideas of what to do while i am there so thanks again. Did not check timing but it was doing this before i put the new dizzy on. Ill check the belt again but im sure its on good. No i have not tried driving it as it is not plated and no insurance. Ill insure it and take it out driving and see what happens. I believe when its driving its fine its only when its parked or when i come to a stop that it will want to die. also you can still hear the noise has changed coming out of exhaust.